Community discussions

MikroTik App

natanielklug
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Crash during export over The Dude (trying to backup it)

Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello all,

I am seeing a problem running The Dude (both v3.6 or v4.0beta3) when I try to export the configuration. First I noticed the problem when running v3.6 over a x86 box with a level 3 license (RouterOS). I made some maps and I tried to export and lost the connection to Dude and, the worst part, is that I lost every single thing I made.

So I tryed to create a new Dude server running v4.0beta3 over another x86 and a demo license (RouterOS) and just put 2 devices in the Local Map, tryed to export, and I had no luck. It exports, open the window to save the file but seconds later it say that the Dude server is not reachable (Mikrotik is still running). In Mikrotik box I have an autosupout.rif file (attached).

Can someone tell me a way to make this work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Crash during export over The Dude (trying to backup it)

Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:32 pm

This is a known problem and many requests have been made to have it fixed, my only suggestion is to email support...

natanielklug
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:56 pm

This is a known problem and many requests have been made to have it fixed, my only suggestion is to email support...
Thank you lebowski... I was reading some of the posts and the best suggestion was to use The Dude server as a Windows Service. As I have a Windows 2008 Server I am running a new copy of The Dude in this server. I am rebuilding all the network and I hope it stay running.

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:17 am

Any news on this one?

I am running Dude 4b3 on a Mikrotik 5.11 on a x86 box and after setting up tens of devices on dude (and they worked perfectly!) I tried exporting the configuration.

The moment I hit on the export button the service crashed (I got connection refused) and after a reboot on the Mikrotik (btw isn't any way to restart the dude service without restarting the whole router?) everything was lost! :evil:
It was like I had just installed the Dude package on mikrotik. All settings were just gone!

Prior to manually setting up all devices I also tried to import a backup from a Windows dude installation but for some weird reason the SNMP requests would not work for all devices and all the images got lost (which made my map pretty ugly - not a serious issue though).

It's been since March that the last beta version of Dude got released and still has many problems even though it's an amazing piece of software!

I am curious though, why port a software to Linux (or Mikrotik even) and announce it if it does not work properly...
I understand that it's free software and we cannot demand updates or support on it, but at least put it in bold letters on the download page that the Mikrotik (.npk) version of Dude does not work as expected and some of the features crash the service.

I just lost 3 hours of my life setting up Dude on mikrotik only to lose everything after a crash... :(

Any plans soon on a new Dude version?

natanielklug
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Hello Cha0s,

I managed to solve the problem running The Dude on a MS Windows Machine. Now it's working fine even thou I still need to restart the service at least once a day so the SNMP oids work again... Dude is problematic but it's the best free tool we have.

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:02 am

Being able to run the service on Windows is not a solution IMHO.
It's the equivalent of saying that using a netgear or a dlink router is a solution if a bug on RouterOS comes up. :lol:

I use Dude since its very first versions and I already run windows boxes only for Dude. I liked the idea having the service embedded into RouterOS so the windows boxes would not longer be necessary.
Personally I have 5 instances monitoring 5 different networks. I don't have any serious issues with it's basic functionality. The times I needed to restart the service are very few since I started using it. So for me it works just fine for the stuff I need it for.

My point is not that much about not being able to run Dude on RouterOS without problems, rather than the porting done to RouterOS is really broken and there is no notification about it so that I would have avoided wasting 3 hours setting up tens of devices, only to lose everything after a simple backup.

Think about it. If you've been using a software for years, and it's being ported to another OS which you wanna try, you already know the software inside out, and what you expect from the porting is to use it in the same manner.
Dude on RouterOS looks exactly like that. Everything looks good and the same as a windows installation, until you make the mistake to take a backup of your work...
I think it should be mentioned in the download page that the Dude backup feature does not work on RouterOS so that people know in advance whether they wanna use it there or not.

The irony of all is that the feature that is supposed to save you in an emergency (aka 'backup') is the one that destroys everything... :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Mikrotik RouterOS and The Dude! I kind of preach about RouterOS anytime there is a discussion about routers :P
But to be fair, both products have some of the stupidest bugs I've ever seen. Even dangerous ones! (ie: BGP implementation sucked for years)

taduikis

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Experienced the same thing today. Honestly, the Dude and MikroTik production is a really good stuff to my opinion.. But we're considering slow transition to Ubiquiti, because the difference isn't really worth the hell we're sometimes going through. Been at our colleagues in different region recently and saw how they perfectly manage with Ubnt..

In short, I'm tired waiting for all these things MikroTik keeps promising to fulfill :(
Hello all,

I am seeing a problem running The Dude (both v3.6 or v4.0beta3) when I try to export the configuration. First I noticed the problem when running v3.6 over a x86 box with a level 3 license (RouterOS). I made some maps and I tried to export and lost the connection to Dude and, the worst part, is that I lost every single thing I made.

So I tryed to create a new Dude server running v4.0beta3 over another x86 and a demo license (RouterOS) and just put 2 devices in the Local Map, tryed to export, and I had no luck. It exports, open the window to save the file but seconds later it say that the Dude server is not reachable (Mikrotik is still running). In Mikrotik box I have an autosupout.rif file (attached).

Can someone tell me a way to make this work?

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:58 pm

I have the same problem. Right now i´m running Dude 3.6 on Windows Server 2003, it actually run quite smooth for some time, but after my network grow it become slower to make the export backup. Some days ago it crashed every time i tried to back it up. What i actually do is to take a snapshot of the virtual machine the it´s currently running. I really hope for a new version for the dude, it´s really an amazing application.
--
Telecomunications Engineer
Cisco CCNP, CCNA, CCDP, CCDA