Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Dude 4.0 beta4??

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks you for that.
I would Be happy to see the following.

1. Adding and removing probes from a few devices at once.
2. I think that the database should be readable somehow for example my dude started to show pings probes as down but the pings graphs are alive on 400 devices from 1000+ I have no idea where to look.
3. Option to change text color with conditions.
4. Add more custom fields that can include OID. This will allow better inventory for example number of CPU's amount of memory.
5. Linux native.
6. Ability to add Latancy monitor on a circuit.

I would like to say THANKS for this great peace of software.

You should consider one of the following.
1. Paid support ( I would be happy to pay for support)
2. Going open source.

I would be happy to support the project...

Many thanks.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 pm

I have used the dude for years and have helped many people use the software and think it is still the best monitoring system available. You guys do awesome work and I know you will continue so here are some long standing issues/requests...

RouterBoard users are unable to export a backup.

A database above 2gb will causes issues and probably wont load.

Negative Cache time should not become true until the number of configured retries is reached. Currently it becomes true on a single probe timeout and causes the probe to stay down for 300 seconds. Manual re-probes do not override Negative Cache either. (causes false positives)

Set a notification with a delay of 15 minutes and if a device goes down and comes back up before the delay user will still receive a notification.

Clicking "new map" might display loading but it will not load. Clicking new map again is a work around. (not important)

The clipboard hook breaks other applications that are currently hooked to the windows clipboard. Reloading the other application fixes their hook into the clipboard.

Honestly wish I had a better way to describe this but. Something changed or is wrong with the way polling works, somehow related to internal IO routines. This seems to have been introduced between 3.x and 3.6. Labels are way more often seen with TX/RX instead of values. I see a lot of false positives with 30 second polling and since I don't see other people complain about false positives I believe this might just be my setup although when I changed to 1 minute polling all my false positives went away so it still seems like there is a fundamental problem. (In the past I have verified with Wireshark that a probe for a failing service was issued and was received yet the probe stayed down.)

Ping has a wildly varying RTT. For example Ping will show a 100ms response time until a manual re-robe is issued. This will reset ping to a more realistic 1ms for a long time. Does a successful ping somehow use a cached previous value to graph?

Other observations; in windows polling is halted while doing an export and all probes that time out while exporting appear down as soon as the export finishes. (The disk IO seems to affect probe IO in a negative way or it is designed this way to keep from writing to the data that is being exported either way it could be improved).

No need to fix this but if you right click on a device and leave the label up for a long time all probes will time out (maybe related to IO troubles).

Clicking on copy clears the history for the original object, it should only clear the history for the object on the clipboard.

Feature requests...
Embedded sub-maps don't reflect outages to top map.

Database editor/export/cleanup tool.

Security
Security groups for tools, currently read only users can use any tool (including web admin).

Security group for maps restricting access to specific maps.

Security group for additional SNMP OIDs. If you are logged in as a read only user snmpwalk doesn't work, custom labels don't display.

Thanks for creating the dude, even with the issues it is still the best, none of them are show stoppers...

Thanks again,
Lebowski

EMOziko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 am

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 am

We use Dude for a long time, too. It works great. Of course there are wishes:

More possibilities to manage MT-Wireless Network

1. CPE-Management
Keep a record of each CPE with customer name, location, Serial Number, connection/trafficstatistics ...
So when a problem arise I have a searchbox, enter customer number and find the device. See which
AP it logged in last time, what was the signal level, ...
Upgrade Firmware of MT-Boxes from within Dude.
Scheduled Upgrade (e.g. when a CPE connects give him an upgrade). It's annoying if you want to
upgrade all CPEs and you find some which are only connected from time to time.
Radius-Integration: When I make a record for a CPE within Dude Access is granted for this CPE.
Get CPE Traffic statistics to show within Dude.

2. Google Earth Integration
If you have coordinates of APs and CPEs with its signals it would be easy to predict if a new
customer would get a usable signal by simply look at his location within Dude.

3. QOS Monitoring
Give warnings when some defined levels of Quality are not met. Latency, Bandwith, Customers
per AP.

4. Android App.

5. We also notice that IO has some problems. Sometimes SNMP queries seem to fail and values are
not shown.

Keep up your good work,
Stefan

odie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:45 pm

snmp problems are getting worse the more clients you monitor - seems to be an I/O problem ?
we are running the dude server on a intel dual 4 core server with 32gb ram on w2k8r2 getting more and mor troubels with
alarms beacuse of snmp polling errors
a feature to move some items to a new sub-map would also be fine

pelish
just joined

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm

I have big problems with SNMP too:
The Dude as x86 routeros package - mikrotik version 5.7 with about 250+ clients on map.

After 7 days without any problems SNMP disconnects from all mikrotiks with 5.x versions and from all APC UPS's, also from some switches (some netgear etc.) It need to be rebooted because it never more get SNMP info from that clients.

Also when server is rebooted, it needs manually connect to RouterOS in Device-RouterOS. If it tryes to connect automatic it never connects to client.

All that erros tested on mikrotik 3.30 as server with the same result.

I will be rally glad with any progress in fixing that.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:32 am

Would be nice if 10GB interfaces were collected using the 64bit counters.

Minollie
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Ai... Now I understand why The Dude seemed to be dead, you were waiting for us to post bugs/requests...

Here are some bugs/request:

B1: every now and then The Dude server gives up polling SNMP values, a service restart or server reboot solves this, but that doesn't seem to be the way to solve it if you ask me..
B2: every now and then it becomes impossible to log in into The Dude using the webinterface
B3: I miss a whole lot of outages, in the device page/webpage and overview, it has been there but due to redesign it went somewhere else and now is most of the time unusable.
B4: SNMP walk crashes more then once, places where it crashes vary, no particular place or device(type)

R1: an Android app would be great
R2: (sub)map separate reporting/exporting settings (I now run into the problem Dude exports the Main Map even though you configure Sub Maps to export), and then make sure the exported data/graph is nice to look at and not messed up
R3: a way to select a part of a graph and the ability to export that selection (if possible every x days/weeks/months for management information purposes)
R4: a way to schedule maintenance per device/map or entirely
R5: a way to align text in the labels not just centered and possibly messing things up, and labels themselves, maybe enabling/disabling the self-adjusting feature of the labels
R6: implementation of multiple thresholds per device
(eg: Temperature: <15 low critical, 15-18 low major, 18-19 low minor, 20-25 OK, 26-27 high minor, 28-30 high major, >30 high critical and one stating Not Available/Error)
R7: more syslog possibilities/functionality, event forwarding would be nice
R8: a way The Dude would work around the 32bit traffic counter problem on interfaces, continously going from 0 to 4GB data to 0 and up again, would be nice if this would always show increasing values which is desirable

Well, this is it for now.. I think I might have another couple of bugs/featurerequests but none come to my mind right now.

Thanks in advance for your work guys!

Regards,
Minollie

Minollie
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 pm

One more little thing...
How about a new certificate?? The old one is getting grey hairs and looks like a dinosaur..

Thanks!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:50 pm

What do you mean by "new certificate" ?

pelish
just joined

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:24 pm

The dude saves all passwords in plane text. When you set device type to Mikrotik and than you use web command it shows password in url in get method so everyone can read it. Also when someone use "copy" on an device with saved password and place it into notepad, it shows him unencrypted password.

so my other request is: use hashed passwords on every place in Dude.

Minollie
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi Normis,

With the initial setup of The Dude v 3.x and as fas as I know 4.betax there was a security certificate included.
This one was issued by Mikrotik to be used for https and other secure links.

I found the file in [drive:]\dude\data\files directory.

But.. since you seem to have forgotten about it's existence in the first place I now know why it has expired ;)

Is this enough information?

Regards,
Minollie

pelish
just joined

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:27 pm

Backuping Mikrotik devices by The Dude will be nice. Also exports can be useful...

soosp

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:40 pm

1. Lack of the ppc support is a barrier to migrate to The Dude v4, because of some of our Dude agents are ppc devices.
2. Native Linux version (at least the server side) would be fine.

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:34 pm

When looking on the map list double click on a map opens the map setting and the map itself.
I assume it should only open the map.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:38 pm

@Duduhandelman

Check settings, Misc, contents pane behavior...

calman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Dude v4.0beta3 on mikrotik powerpc devices!

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Stability first and formost, The current b3 has major stability problems after handling a major outage when monitoring 1000+ devices the dude will start maxing CPU and memory will start to spiral out of control.

Also any device with a global route table and SNMP turned on within the dude will cause stability issues. Multithreading may help

These issues occuring on a very fast box but when the dude goes nuts it'll consume any and all resources on the box, Compared to PRTG monitoring the same amount of devices on a box 1/4 the spec of the dude box and it chugs along just fine

fbsdmon

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Features:
1. Simple text fields on maps to be used as notes, would do magic for me
2. Ability to use functions in tools
3. Threshold and Baseline monitoring. It would probably be a wrapper probe(s) that can watch over another probe and would be enabled and configured on the service.
4. Ability to reconnect link's! I would kill for this :) I just hate it when i need to reconnect a cable/port to another device and loos all history when I do the same in The Dude.
5. Ability to disable snmp probing of devices. Sometimes I just need to ping a device, and I cannot tell the dude not to try and pool snmp data off it.
6. RegEx in functions
7. Some functions are not aware of dude agents, like ping for example

Can we have a road-map ?
Can we have some commitment ?

If open sourcing the dude is not an option, maybe you would be willing to accept help from programmers that are willing to work under an NDA? I know I wouldn't mind.

I would be more then happy to put my experience with fault management and performance monitoring software to good use and articulate some features/solutions I've seen in greater detail for you, if you wish.

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:43 am

1. Capability to specify a "Context" for an SNMP configuration
2. Security groups (AD integrated?) to give none, read only or read/write access to different maps and tools
3. Outages on sub-maps and sub-sub-maps to flow up to the top level
4. Automatic unAck for devices/probes once theu are up again (option for auto or manual unAck)
5. SNMP trap receiver - with notifications per different types of traps received
6. MSSQL or MySQL database backend so we can write queries to extract data directly for reports etc.
7. Notification escalation. ie. A probe is down 3 times and one type of notification is sent, down 15 times and a different notification is sent, down 50 times and another type of notification is sent. Also option to send notifications repeatedly while the probe remains down.
8. Ability to specify which OIDs The Dude will probe by default per device type. To help overcome the high CPU utilisation some devices suffer when The Dude has snmp probe turned on.

Apart from the fact that there are things I would like to see added to The Dude, there is no denying that it is one of the best, most intuitive and easily maintainable monitoring tools that I have ever used. Keep up the good work MikroTik.

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Dude 4.0 beta4??

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:25 am

Add the ability to execute command on RouterOS directly like in windows.

E.g /tool SMS send

mdimas
just joined

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:44 pm

It would be useful if you could control what devices and what maps users have access to in the dude.
I also agree with the other users asking for:
Native Linux
Android App
Google Map integration
Having Sub-Maps Notify up to Parent Maps
RouterOS backups

Thank You!

vik1988
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:44 am

HI All,

Dude 3.6 and 4.0 Beta 3 web is not working with ROS 5.14...Any Idea ???

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:59 am

HI All,

do you mean the RouterOS package is not working? On what kind of router?

vik1988
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 am

HI All,

do you mean the RouterOS package is not working? On what kind of router?

Hi Normis,

I installed dude 4.0beta3 on x86(ROS 5.14) and on RB750GL. 750 GL went down after installation of Dude. So i am only trying it on x86 Machine with ROS 5.14.

Everything goes fine in Dude but web on port 81 is not working.

taduikis

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:35 am

Since I happen to have spare x86 server running v5.14 ROS, I'd like to use it as a Dude server, but I suppose it isn't meant to be that way, right? I feel some lack of documentation regarding this question, so any input would be appreciated. I can install dude package, connect to it, but I can't import a config exported with Windows version of The Dude: it crashes or refuses to import throwing errors.. Otherwise, seems I can start all over by assembling maps, adding devices, links as if it would be on a normal Windows based server. Too much work though.

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:07 am

- Better caching of snmp queries (smarter or better control over caching), e.g. i don't need to fetch the hostname more than once every 5 minutes, why is it queried more?
- Being able to group multiple get requests into one larger UDP frame(!!!!)
- More functions that can convert values (for example, convert BSSID into a decimal value, right now one has to hack the MIB).
- Better scripting language?
- Variables or value place holders so that one doesn't need to call the function twice, but still can structure the queries into multiple functions. E.g.
 If ( string_length( custom_function() ) > 0, custom_function(), "" ) 
could turn into
 If ( string_length( custom_function()=>%val1 ) > 0, %val1, "" ) 
- easier access and better documentation for retrieving device_property()'s
- some way to retrieve link properties
- better statistics on resource usage of dude itself (e.g. how many SNMP requests am i sending per second or minute?) How many are retransmits?
- auto modification locking of maps (so we don't move them around by accident).
- ways to avoid polling a link twice, just because it's specified in two different maps
- ways to even out the polling requests so it doesn't flood the network so badly (sometimes it tends to send 1000 packets in one second, ... it makes the jitter on the network worse.
- different things should be polled at different intervals, more or less static data could be polled every time uptime wraps around, tx/rx rate could be polled every 1 minute
- means to export certain data into e.g. excel spreadsheets or xml format so it can be fed into programs to work with

Adam84

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 am

Each user profile in Dude should have it own password set w each device (it would be even better if admin can select whether specific user can use default password set, or should have his own). Now every user in Dude uses the same password for devices as others.

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 pm

Oh yes, i forgot that one.
- It's ideal if the dude log in to monitor using it's own username and password (which both fields are hidden for none-"full" group dude user), while each dude user had a winbox/ssh/telnet username and password (which can be modified by the user or administrator (full group)).
- Also ideal to tell dude to gather more information using the winbox session. Less SNMP traffic would benefit many.
- Automatic "link" signalstrength, snr, ccq, uptime etc datasources for wireless link from routeros (as station?).
- An automated :export to gather configurations would be very nice.
- Some way to edit scripts inside dude that i can then apply to routeros units

taduikis

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 am

Also a high resolution full network map export would be nice. Now it seems to only export the viewport size image..

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Fix Please:
BUG: Custom logs reseted to default after Windows reboot
New Network map only says 'loading'

Add Please: The_Dude/v3/Feature_Requests
1. (Votes: 50) Native Linux port for Dude Server - no need for Wine/GUI etc on Linux server host
2. (Votes: 49) Interface Google Earth (Location Parameter in Device, Load Google Pictures in Map-View)
3. (Votes: 34) Support of SMTP-Auth for sending email notifications
4. (Votes: 27) Ability to save/export/import part of the configuration (certain map, Actions list,functions...etc)
5. (Votes: 20) Ability to create maps for individual users or group access for each map, (maps per user/group).Also give the same rights to winbox login that user has in dude.
6. (Votes: 19) Ability to get maps from different dude servers.
7. (Votes: 10) "Little Dude": Dude client interface for Mobile device such as symbian os60. (e.g. Nokia E90)
8. (Votes: 6) Custom WMI queries on the Windows Computers and Servers
9. (Votes: 1) Alarms for bandwidth utilization (%) on links that are being charted. For example if a link goes above 90% of a Max. Badnwidth variable (configured by user), the Dude sends an alarm.
10. Add support for multiple interfaces on the device and possibility to select interface in probe.

cstradtman
just joined

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 am

One vote each for:

1. An API or the ability to bulk load/remove devices from the system, even just picking up a CSV would be a BIG improvement.
2. Linux Native.
3. Ajax style interface (like what you're doing on webfig)

P.S. I really like the direction you're heading with the webfig stuff, not quite there yet, but nice job, two thumbs up :D

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:41 pm

the ability to bulk load/remove devices from the system, even just picking up a CSV would be a BIG improvement.
copy any device(s) and paste into the Notepad - it's not CSV, it's XML! :)

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:08 am

i wish only one thing, since last year.

dude can monitor vrf environment.

in terminal mode we can ping vrf environment using routing-table=xxxx
but dude cannot.

thx

transdata
just joined

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Dear All,

I would like to ask for an ACK button which is doing an onetime ACK like in Dude v2.x. As long as the error of an service is active and with the next occurrence of the same alarm it is no more ACK but sends a notification.

Or an Notification option which is triggered if an service goes from Up -> ACK'ed.

Thanks a lot,
Transdata

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 am

Manual:The Dude/Changelog

Thu Jun 22, 2006 Post subject: The Dude 1.2 Update Released
Tue Feb 27, 2007 - the Dude v2.2 released
Tue Apr 24, 2007 - the Dude v3.0beta6 released
Fri Aug 29, 2008 - New Dude version released: v3.0rc1
Tue Jan 13, 2009 - The Dude 3.1 released
Tue, Apr 7, 2009 - MikroTik the Dude version 3.2 released!
Mon, Apr 20, 2009 - MikroTik the Dude version 3.3 released!
Tue, May 5, 2009 - MikroTik the Dude version 3.4 released!
Mon, Jan 4, 2010 - MikroTik the Dude version 3.5 released!
Sat, 19 Apr 2010 - MikroTik the Dude version 3.6 released!
Thu Jul 15, 2010 - The Dude v4.0 beta 2 released
Tue Mar 08, 2011 - Dude v4beta3 released

2 years from last stable release and 1 year from latest beta.
As we can see as a rule developers start their activity in spring.
Maybe shortly will be next release :)

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:47 pm

While we are writing a wish list... Variables have already been mentioned but more programming functions like a while or for next looping, we have if but not then, else.

Array graphing, so if I put oid_column("1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.273.1.3.1.1.3.1") and there are 10 comma separated values returned all 10 of them would be graphed.

TBacker
just joined

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 am

* Remember column widths in the GUI grids! Many columns contain a lot of data yet keep defaulting to the same narrow width when you switch views and come back.

* Remember sort orders. When viewing logs, I usually want to see the most recent items on top so I don't have to scroll to the bottom. Unfortunately the sort options are reset on each re-entry into a grid.

* Some way to monitor resources & bandwidth used by Dude to help tune the timing of probes. With a large number of machines monitored, and a large number of probes on many, sometimes false alarms can be generated because overloads in resources or bandwidth.

* Every developers most hated thing - updated documentation. Seems like when I need to add a probe, I have to spend a lot of time scouring forums for bits and pieces from others who had to blaze that trail.

No offense meant at all, but as to the seeming annoyance with people asking when the next release will be, maybe a progress report thread stickied in this forum? You shouldn't give hard timelines, but throw us a bone every week or two as to progress being made. It's easy to understand why Dude newbs would think it's abandonware. You've got a lot of fans who want to see this tool improve and grow - they just want to know it has movement.

taduikis

Dude 4.0 beta4??

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 am

It does display some nice charts in Torch. Check them out :)

voxframe
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:14 am

That's not what I am looking for.

There is no way to "nicely" have 50 graphs on display and have a good "At a glance" view of them.

Solarwinds does this perfectly with the bandwidth and CPU guage panels.