Community discussions

MikroTik App

Laki
just joined
Topic Author

Dude and bantdwith monitoring

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I have small network, 50 workstation in windows domain environment.
Mikrotik 750g is main router and dhcp server.
How to use Dude for Bandwidth monitoring (total In and Out, http, p2p...).
From where to start ? or is beter to use MRTG and Cacti (but for me is same because and dont have clue about linux -:( )
Can some one put me in right direction.

Thanks is advance

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Dude and bantdwith monitoring

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:47 pm

The Dude will keep the history of total trafic in/out on each link that you add to a map. The proviso is that you have to specify the link as an SNMP type link (not simple) and you need to have SNMP read access to one of the devices on the end of the link.

The data is saved in RRD style so the further back you go in the history the longer the average becomes - this reduces the apparent peak throughput. This is OK if you understand what you are looking at but it can be confusing if you are not aware of this (Cacti, MRTG, etc have the same type of system as well).

I am not sure how you could get data per the type of traffic (ie, HTTP, P2P, etc). I am pretty sure you would need to have some type of packet inspection application that will provide an SNMP interface so you can get the data through a MIB. Some firewall products should be able to do that but I am not sure what would suit your needs. We use a product called LANGuardian http://www.netfort.com/ which could provide this sort of traffic breakdown (plus heaps of other forensic analysis tools) but it is reasonably costly to licence and probably not justifiable in a small network.

Laki
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks for answer,
at the moment i install netflow analyzer and is working ok. Is 30 days trial, but will do a job.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

There is a decent netflow monitor called scruitinizer that is free to run but only keeps 1 day of data. The difference with netflow vs graphing utilization is netflow is broken down to "flows" with source and destination addresses so you can say a specific amount of traffic was generated by a specific pair of computers. The dude just grabs the traffic on an interface and gives you a number to graph.