Community discussions

MikroTik App

mistiq
Topic Author

Feature Request: cascade of Dude servers

Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 am

I have a large distributed network with some administrative center. It is a good idea to monitor my routers locally and aggregate all map into central dude without polling routers from it.
This function can be realized?

Tnx.

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Feature Request: cascade of Dude servers

Thu May 24, 2012 10:58 am

The Dude can already be set up like what you are asking for. We have a similar setup and have a Dude on each main network segment. The "local" Dude on each segment is set up as an agent and then we have a central Dude server. The Central Dude server is the one that has all the network maps and so on. A device on a map is set to be polled by a Dude agent, not by the central Dude server. All of our Dude clients connect to the central Dude server and can see the status of the devices which are polled by the agents.

You can also use this setup in fault-finding as you can select which Dude agent to use to ping or traceroute to a device.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Exactly. A each Map in the dude can get it's information from a different Dude Agent (agent is just any Dude server). See here:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude/Agents

mistiq
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 am

Ok, i read about this features, but i have a way to export maps from agent in real time?
Let me explain: in all of my regional monitoring server i have a lot of monitored object. All of regional server have own system administrator who add new devices. I can`t know about any changes in regional map, hence the way to manually duplicate monitored object to central server is so difficult.

It very good idea to make possibility to request the map completely.

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:19 am

OK.

In my previous job I had an idea for the same thing you are talking about. Mind you it was just an idea.... We had a very large distributed network with regional network administrators. Idea was to allow the regional administrators to set up their own network maps and monitoring as they were the ones that knew their networks best. But to also distribute the regional maps as readonly (?) to other regions and the central Network Operations Centre.

I think this would be a great feature but probably only of practical use in a large enterprise.