Community discussions

MikroTik App

itcoresys
Topic Author

Dude changing Mikrotik routers configuration dynamically?

Fri May 25, 2012 9:42 am

I was wondering if its possible to have Dude SSH to a Mikrotik to change the configuration on the fly.

For example, if an SNMP poll of ETH3's RX is over 10Mb for 3 30 second polls, Dude might issue a configuration change to the Mikrotik to change the default gateway to ETH4 until 3 more 30 second polls show the RX drop down below 10Mb.

Also, if it can happen, would the frequent dynamic configuration changes such as swinging the default gateway over to another WAN wear out the flash inside a Routerboard due to too many writes?

Thanks.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Dude changing Mikrotik routers configuration dynamically

Fri May 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the router check itself with a script that runs locally?

-- Nathan

itcoresys
Topic Author

Re: Dude changing Mikrotik routers configuration dynamically

Sun May 27, 2012 6:10 am

Ill try that too.

I just thought that if a single Dude could handle it for say 20+ routerboards out in the field, parameters could be changed in one place and affect them all with the automation in once spot.

Say for example, backbone provider A has sudden up/down flapping and 10 routerboards in different places use provider A, I could have Dude issue a single change to all 10 routerboards in one shot that disables provider A's gateway so PCC logic never chooses it (Disable the mangle rule for that interface for example), and leaves provider B and maybe C in the loop for gateway choice.

Just a thought.

Ill try it both ways, Im just weak at scripts on Mikrotik :P