Community discussions

MikroTik App

wk5h
Topic Author

Difference in Mastering Types?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 am

What is the difference between "snmp" and "routeros" in the Mastering Type option?

My apologies if this has been answered before, but, I can't seem to find any posts regarding this.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Difference in Mastering Types?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm

There are two ways to collect information, SNMP or Router OS. Router OS is only supported by Mikrotik applications. SNMP is an open standard. You will want to use SNMP unless there is a specific reason you need ROS.

wk5h
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 pm

There are two ways to collect information, SNMP or Router OS. Router OS is only supported by Mikrotik applications. SNMP is an open standard. You will want to use SNMP unless there is a specific reason you need ROS.
what would be some reasons to use ROS over SNMP? Any differences in speed and packets between the 2, or does ROS just use specific OIDs?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't know but with over 1000 probes with 1 minute polling my server is never using more that 300kbps with SNMP so you probably wont need to think about utilization.

As far as what is ROS specific there might be things like usernames and signal strength on wireless access points that are not in SNMP but stuff like that is vendor specific and could be added. For example Cisco's access points only give you the mac address and the ip address of the connected user, you can't track someone's signal strength very easily. I think you can in ROS, not a great example but I think you get the picture.

wk5h
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:37 am

Awesome; thanks for the help!