Community discussions

MikroTik App

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Canopy SMs and The Dude

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 pm

I love The Dude. In fact, the more Mikrotik stuff I try, the more I love it. But we still have a lot of Canopy out there. I have the Admin network monitored effectively. But, the SMs(CPE) I do not have good monitoring.

I would like to monitor re-reg for SMs. As far as I have discovered, this is only stored on the AP. But it is stored by LUID, and the LUID changes for each SM after a reboot. Plus, there is no easy way to tie Client Name (or MAC) to the re-reg (that I have found) so far. Does anyone have any suggestions or working methods for monitoring Canopy SMs that serves to detect problems before the client calls to complain (or starts complaining to their neighbors)???

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Canopy SMs and The Dude

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 pm

A wild guess but lets say your oid is x.x.x.x.luid.0 and value is "some number". You can use oid column to get the value even though luid changes. i.e. oid_column("1.3.6.1.4.1.2890.7.6.2.1.luid.3.0")

HTH,
Lebowski

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Let me give a little more information for then non-Canopy users. Each connection is given a LUID. This sequentially assigned number changes when the AP is restarted, based on (sequentially) when the client connects.

On the AP, I can see the MAC and the Re-Reg count for each client. But the data is stored in a different spot all the time. For example:
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkReRegCount.1
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkReRegCount.2
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkReRegCount.3
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkReRegCount.4

iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkPhysAddress.1
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkPhysAddress.2
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkPhysAddress.3
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkPhysAddress.4
This represents 4 clients. The client could have their data is .1 this time, but in .4 after an AP reboot. The MAC is stored in the PhysAddress, while the Re-Reg is in the ReRegCount. I want to be able to periodically probe (by MAC) for re-reg count and track it. This way, I can setup a trigger. For example, if I get 5 re-reg in an hour, I have a problem and an email needs to be dispatched.

Does this make more sense?

THANKS!!

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:28 pm

[bump]

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:21 am

Do a search for Canopy. This has been discussed many many times and there is an excellent thread with pictures and everything.

hwmonkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:42 am

Do a search for Canopy. This has been discussed many many times and there is an excellent thread with pictures and everything.
Really? I have searched and cannot find any information related to Canopy and the LUID changing for an SM, or the ability to get re-reg information from an AP regarding the individual SM and track it over time. Sure, there is a bunch of stuff on pulling basic SM information from an SM (which we do), but I do not see this information anywhere.

Do you have a thread you can refer me to?

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:03 pm

The problem is there is no way to set a variable in the dude, what you would do is find the array size in
iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mot.whispRoot.whispProducts.whispAps.whispLinkTable.whispLinkEntry.linkReRegCount.1
Then do a loop (which also does not exist) through the array of values.... This functionality would really shine. Mikrotik!

It is possible to build a series of if statements you will have to build it to have a maximum number of ifs and just configure it to return 1 even if that oid is not present. For example each if statement that didn't end in error would call another if statement, you could make it recurse 10 times so it would track the first 10 connections on the AP.

I would be very careful if you run this kind of thing on hundreds of access points since the dude has an upper limit of the number of ifs it can process in a given time frame. It is in the 10,000 range but I have broke my dude setup by running through too many ifs.

The array of if statements method would "break" when the first if statement read a value over 5 and then it would send you an email, what would you do then, reset the count or go visit the offending wireless user? Then determine if their machine is acting screwy?

If I was going to build this (the only way it can seem to work with out variables) I would start like this...
Note: adding 1 keeps the code running since an empty OID returns "false" which would stop further code from running.

Test 1 user;
if(oid("linkReRegCount.1")+1>6,,"User 1 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")

Test 2 users;
if(oid("linkReRegCount.1")+1>6,
if(oid("linkReRegCount.2")+1>6,
,"User 2 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")
,"User 1 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")

Test 3 users;
if(oid("linkReRegCount.3")+1>6,
,"User 3 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")

Test 4 users;
if(oid("linkReRegCount.4")+1>6,
,"User 4 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")

Just make that as big as you want to and make it a function then make a probe that calls the function.
The function...
name:reregchk9
if(oid("linkReRegCount.4")+1>6,
if(oid("linkReRegCount.5")+1>6,
if(oid("linkReRegCount.6")+1>6,
if(oid("linkReRegCount.7")+1>6,
if(oid("linkReRegCount.8")+1>6,
if(oid("linkReRegCount.9")+1>6,
,"User 9 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")
,"User 8 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")
,"User 7 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")
,"User 6 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")
,"User 5 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")
,"User 4 exceeds reasonable re-registration count")

The probe...
In the available line of the probe you can put "1" but if you are using auto discover this service will be added to every device automatically.
Try to put something that determines if the device is an ap. if(oid"device type"=ap1200) - this type of statement in an available line needs to be tested extensively.

In the error line just call the function.
if(reregchk9(),"","something else went wrong")

Graphing is a pita since you don't want to graph the last value read and you have to manually remove graphing from every device you add the probe to.

Note: Replace linkReRegCount with the entire oid.

HTH,
Lebowski

[Edit - spelling, grammar, and readability]