Community discussions

MikroTik App

kizo
just joined
Topic Author

False ping alarms by Dude 4.3 Beta

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I am posting here, but been using it for quite a while with success.

Using it to monitor about 100 network devices for basic ping as well as for snmp.

My apologies, if this has been answered in the past, but I've noticed something recently. I have no clue why, but from time to time, Dude sends me ping e-mail alerts for few devices being down, even though they are up.

If I ping the same devices from the server itself, where The Dude is installed, I get ping replies, but if I try to reprobe from within the Dude map, it fails???

At the same time, snmp monitoring of the same devices is just fine.

Then after server reboot, I get emails that all devices being marked as down are up now.

Server is virtual (VMWare) Win 2008R2 Datacenter, 64 bit edition.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kizo

CyberT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: False ping alarms by Dude 4.3 Beta

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 am

i have seen this before, it happens when you have your ping timeouts and your ping retries close together, aka ping timeout 2 seconds, and poll every 2 seconds, with a down count of 1 or 2, to make it better, you would want to increase your down time, and have a poll time of at least double your time out time, test it a bit and check,

kizo
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks a lot.

I'll definitely give it a try.

We'll post back with results.

Regards,

Kizo

kizo
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 am

It just happened again (before I made change) and always for the same devices.

I have made changes in Settings->Pooling tab->Probe Interval to 1 min.
Probe Timeout to 10 sec.
Probe Down Count left on 5.

However, I've noticed in the Event section "Dude Started" events where it shows Dude started and time, even though I am certain, server was not rebooted at that time.

I don't know why is this coming up, as warnings I am getting are coming from specific IPs and again, I've just checked them by pinging them from the server itself and they are OK.

As soon as I rebooted server, got all those pings OK.

Please, help.

Thanks

kizo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:37 pm

OK, here is my finding on this.

Seems to be that CyberT's suggestion is having it more stable; thanks for that.

However, there is another detail I've experienced this Saturday when I was performing some maintenance on routers.

The same thing happened, but at that time I was rebooting one of the cluster routers in it's path. As soon as I did this, got notification e-mails.

Checked Event log on Dude and it says "Dude started".

I don't have an answer why this has happened,a s cluster routers are sharing the same unique MAC address, completely different from either unit in a cluster (active, or passive).

Nevertheless, I know the cause, but I don't have explanation to this.

I don't know, why would Dude have "Dude started" message in Event log, as I stated above.

I don't know, if this message means that Dude has "really" started and if this is the case, then all other nodes on my map would have notification sent?

Nevertheless, thanks all for help.

Kizo