Community discussions

MikroTik App

fgluck
just joined
Topic Author

How to get notified system successfully responds to a Ping

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 pm

In using the Dude, I see that most notifications respond if a state changes from x to y (e.g. up to down or unstable to down).

I want to be notified of success (via email) if a system outside of our network responds to a Ping. We would run this Ping every morning at 6:00am on a set of systems and expect to receive an email that says "everything is OK". If I don't get this email at 6:00am, then I can assume that something is wrong.

The reason we are doing this is because our Dude server and the email server we use to send alerts will not be able to send a text notification if our network is not available. (Or to put it another way, I won't receive a message if our email server can't get to the network to send an email).

I was thinking of a probe that says "if the last time you tried, the system was up and this time the system was up then I will send an email" but have no idea where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ohara

Re: How to get notified system successfully responds to a Pi

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 am

Login to https://www.pingdom.com/free/ and see if this is going to be a useful alternative for you.

fgluck
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 am

Nope (but thanks). The Website is only one of a multitude of endpoints I need to monitor. I don't see that Pingdom can monitor my server or my firewall.

israferna
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:32 pm

i would know how to get the network state daily, not only when an event occurss.
I was looking for that issue, but the best i found it´s force to change the state down.
If anyone could help, i will be happy.