Community discussions

MikroTik App

AxiomMaximum
just joined
Topic Author

The Dude on ARM

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 pm

I know The Dude runs on Linux through wine but will it run on a ARM device like Raspberry Pi? I am looking at a cheap device I can use to display The Dude on a TV without having to use a huge computer, I figured it might work on RPi. I just want to find out if anyone has tried this before I dish money out for one.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: The Dude on ARM

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Forget it. Wine only implements Windows API, it does not emulate CPU. There seem to be some ideas (http://wiki.winehq.org/ARM) involving QEMU, which does the emulation, but don't count on it to ever work and be actually usable on RasPi. That device is far from fast even without emulation.

On the other hand, if MikroTik ever decides to release native Linux Dude (there should not be any major technical obstacle, at least for the server part, because that already exists as RouterOS package, i.e. native Linux binary), they could as well compile it for RasPi (Raspbian) too. That would not help you, because for display you need the client part. But I'm sure someone else would like it. I would for sure. :) But I don't really expect it to ever happen.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:19 pm

This topic is from 2013, we are in 2017 now. Is The Dude already running on a Raspberry Pi?

Indeed I'm looking for a easy, simple device to add to my network to monitor about 11 to 12 Mikrotik devices. A Raspberry Pi would be a good option.

Any thought, feedback?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 am

No.
Old dude server runs on Windows and new runs on ros only.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks for the feedback. No problem that The latest Dude SW runs on ROS. What would be a good, stable and cheap device to monitor about 12 Mikrotik devices? It was suggested that the RB 750r3 is a good device but there are some issues that it is not keeping the log file after a reboot. Any other good device? Who has good experience with The Dude on a Mikrotik device and which model?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 pm

It looks for me that dude 6 is not still mature enough to be reliably used. Therefore I still run 4b3 for production and trying time to time the 6.xx on chr. For dude you need enough memory and fast flash drive to store the database. For testing or playing with it the virtualized chr is the most affordable solution.