Community discussions

MikroTik App

GJS
Topic Author

Client/Server Relationship

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:15 pm

I have just found that with V1.1 a change of the view on any client affects the view on any other client connected to the same server. Thus, it is not really practical to have more that one client connected to a server at any one time. This limits the usefulness of the Dude in larger networks.

I also found that the settings for some (maybe all) tools are stored on the server yet they run from the client machine e.g. you make a tool to run c:\connect.cmd using the local client on the server machine. You then later connect to the server from another machine and the tool is there because it's settings are stored on the server. However, it tries to run c:\connect.cmd on the local client machine, where there is no connect.cmd.

This seems like very strange behaviour for a client/server program and makes me think that The Dude was orginally intended to run from the local machine only.

Does V2 operate the same way?

lquince
just joined

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:52 pm

I you open the map seperatly from the dude main application it does not effect the server side..

Also when you set a map to export its image the bandwidth box is always empty!

Also another question is there away to not have to duplicate hosts on different Maps as it seems a waste of resource to poll a device twice.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:40 am

At the moment it does. We are going to add feature that each user can have
different window layout, but as for tools this is intended behavior. Dude is
storing all configuration on server, maybe we can add feature that you can
add tools per user or per address you are logged in (like you can add tools
per device in version 2).

GJS
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:10 pm

For me, this would be the reverese of the best functionality. I think it is right that the tool configurations are stored on the server, but not that they run from the client. There is no way to ensure that a tool config on the server will run from the client which is currently the only place it can run from.

For example, let's say you want to ping a host on a private network, you ping and get nothing because you are actually pinging from the client machine that can be anywhere on the Internet, not from within your private network where the Dude server resides.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Well, there is no easy way to show on client output of custom tool performed
on server, but as for ping, traceroute, snmpwalk you can already choose
whether you wan to perform them from local computer of from server. For ping
and traceroute you can even choose any RouterOS device. Also all RouterOS
specific tools (Terminal, Remote Connection, Torch) are also performed
'through' server - there is no direct connectivity from client to router.
What is the tool you want to run on server?

GJS
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:49 pm

Yes, I see, it would be difficult to show output from a custom tool running on the server. I, for example, would like to run the management application (not web or terminal based) for some of the radios I have. The only way I can think of doing this is to have some kind of embedded VNC or RDP capability in the dude.