Community discussions

MikroTik App

dancuofzhills
Topic Author

good background maps??

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:57 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get good background maps for the dude? i like the one that they show on the download page... it looks kinda like a goodle map, but where do i get them??

Ive found some other map sources but i am not really satisfied with any of them for one reason or another.

Thanks for any suggestions.

GJS

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:17 pm

I have another freeware program (RadioMobile) which uses mapoint or mapquest to get sections of map from the Internet and merge them with ground elevation data. I wonder if something like this could be incorporated into the Dude. e.g. you enter the centre co-ordinates you want, say your NOC or whatever, and the radius of the network, say 10km, and you automatically download a map for that area.

I don't know how the data is obtained from mapquest or mappoint, I will look into it.

dancuofzhills
Topic Author

Radio mobile maps

Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:36 pm

I too use radio mobile, but im not sure either how it gets the maps. The reason i havent directly used the images from radio mobile is when your zoomed out, and you use "merge maps" it comes out very low resolution and does not show minor roads.
I realize that i can zoom in to individual areas and get good images, but then i would be patchworking together many many images to make it cover my whole map the the dude. I did this once with google earth and it was a pain! but i did end up with a fairly decent aerial image of my coverage area.
Please repost if you figure out how to pull down a good looking large resolution image from radio mobile!

bjohns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:02 am

It'd be nice to have it linked in with Google maps - add in the address field for each device (or better yet, grab it from snmp..) and plot it automatically.

GJS

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:20 am

Hmm...there seems to be plenty of ways freely advertised for embedding maps in web pages such as using a formatted url. But there must be a way of getting a georeferenced image as this is what RadioMobile does. So, my feature suggestion is:

The settings for each device contains a co-ordinates field where you can enter a WGS84 lat and long (or maybe get from SNMP if your device is GPS enabled). Then, when the device is added or the map reloads, a map image is automatically downloaded that has the extents of all the devices which have the co-ordinates set. The devices are then automatically centered on their correct location. Devices without co-ordinates entered just stay in their manual position.

That would be WAY COOL! :D

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:35 pm

YES! That would be a cool feature! But lets have them get it stable first.

GJS

Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:49 pm

Agreed.