Community discussions

MikroTik App

danipolo
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwith test from router to internet. The API way.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:24 am

Hi all,

I'm working in some scripts based in Mikrotik API. I was looking a way to make an API call from a linux box to a Mikrotik router and get the available download rate at the moment.

I found the way you mount a BTEST server in a external server and you use the mikrotik as a client. The problem here:

If you do it with hundreds of points simulatenous, it will fail (no enough bandwith to server to all at same time). I want to output it via API. Just the value.

Question here: It's posible to make that task from the Mikrotik (using it's own bandwith) to outside without other hardware?

Thanks!

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 am

Btest is very cpu intensive and quite limited. It can easily affect the results just by running on the device involved in the tested path.

boen_robot
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bandwith test from router to internet. The API way.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Btest is supposed to tell you your maximum bandwidth between two points, not your "current" bandwidth.

To see how much bandwidth your router uses at a particular moment, you need to lookup the RX and TX values of your internet facing interfaces. Those values are not maximums, but they are current. You can even use the "/interface monitor-traffic" command to watch those rates as they change.

danipolo
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Bandwith test from router to internet. The API way.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Hi again ppl,

All understood.

Thanks! :)