Community discussions

MikroTik App

molesza
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Automatically limit all other queues when a particular IP starts receiving data

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:56 pm

I have limited bandwidth and have problems with streaming on my home network. All my devices have simple queues and I would like to do the following.

My roku sits idle until I start streaming. My thought is to have a script that looks for data throughput from the Internet. As soon as the roku hits 256kbps download I would like all the other queues to be limited to 256kbps download 128 upload. Then once the roku data throughput drops below 256kbps all queues are reverted back to original.

Is it possible to script this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Automatically limit all other queues when a particular IP starts receiving data

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:08 pm

You don't need scripts - just use the limit-at feature and priorities to give priority to the Roku.

limit-at is a misleading name - it's really a "minimum guaranteed bandwidth"

So set limit-at = 256k down / 128k up on the other queues, and set it to something like 75% of your total bandwidth on the roku's queue, and you should get the behavior you want... and set the roku's max-limit to something like 90% of the full pipe, and priority = 1,
set priority = 2-8 on other queues, however you want their relative importance to be, where 1 is highest and 8 is lowest.

molesza
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Automatically limit all other queues when a particular IP starts receiving data

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:55 pm

You don't need scripts - just use the limit-at feature and priorities to give priority to the Roku.

limit-at is a misleading name - it's really a "minimum guaranteed bandwidth"

So set limit-at = 256k down / 128k up on the other queues, and set it to something like 75% of your total bandwidth on the roku's queue, and you should get the behavior you want... and set the roku's max-limit to something like 90% of the full pipe, and priority = 1,
set priority = 2-8 on other queues, however you want their relative importance to be, where 1 is highest and 8 is lowest.
Thanks for your advise. I have already implemented simple queues and it doesnt seem to give me the desired affect. I have added a screen grab below. My line is a 4meg down 0.5meg up ADSL line. I have set my total queue to 3400k. For the purpose of this test the two queues that I am using are "dik" and "myles desktop"

You can see from the screengrab and the 3 windows in winbox that everything weighs heavily in favour of the "Myles Desktop" queue. However from the download average you can see on the screen "Dik" has more bandwidth. If I stop the download on "dik" the other connection maxes out the bandwidth.

What am I doing wrong with the queue setup here? Ideally I would want "Myles Desktop" to get as much bandwidth it can and leave the "limit-at" available for "Dik"

Hope someone can help. I have spent a lot of time on this and getting nowhere fast!

Thanks

Link to original image if the below grab is too small to read - http://i.imgur.com/WHFYnue.png