Community discussions

MikroTik App

Xenhat
just joined
Topic Author

Working 6rd script for Videotron customers without Native ipv6 (HE Tunnel Broker)

Sun May 20, 2018 3:16 pm

2024 update:
I have obtained a Helix gateway, which comes with its own set of problems. IPv6 is also not available in my area, so I had to resort to rolling my own solution again.

The original method no longer works, and the IPv6 calculator from Videotron is gone. You can however use Hurricane Electric's free tunnel service at https://tunnelbroker.net.
A complete example script is provided for your convenience:
# START OF USER CONFIG
# Edit the following to match your own tunnel
#
# "Server IPv4 Address" from HE Tunnel Broker
:local HETunnelremoteAddress                0.0.0.0

# "Server IPv6 Address" (without prefix length)
# i.e. for 1234:5678:9abc::1/64, only put 1234:5678:9abc::1
:local HETunnelIPv6GatewayAddress           f:f:f:f::1

# "Client IPv6 Address"
:local HeTunnelIPv6ClientAddress            f:f:f:f::2/64

# Routed prefix (without prefix length i.e. /64)
:local HeTunnelIPv6RoutedPrefix             f:f:f:f::

# routed prefix size
:local HeTunnelIPv6RoutedPrefixsize         64

:local HeTunnelComment "HE Tunnel Script"
:local HeTunnelInterfaceName HETunnel

# END OF USER CONFIG
/ipv6 route     remove [ find where comment=$HeTunnelComment ]
/ipv6 address   remove [ find where comment=$HeTunnelComment ]
/interface 6to4 remove [ find where comment=$HeTunnelComment ]

:local bridgename  [ /interface/bridge/get number=0 value-name=name ]
:local addr4
:set addr4 [ /ip address get [ find interface="9.modem" ] address ]
:set addr4 [ :pick $addr4 0 [ :find $addr4 "/" ] ]

# Allow ICMP from HE Tunnel Broker (required!)
/ip firewall filter {
    remove [ find where comment="6rd" ]
    :local def [ find where chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" ]
    add action=accept chain=input comment="6rd" connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN protocol=icmp src-address=66.220.2.74 place-before=$def
}
/interface 6to4 add comment="$HeTunnelComment" disabled=no local-address=$addr4 mtu=1280 name=$HeTunnelInterfaceName remote-address=$HETunnelremoteAddress
/ipv6 route add disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=2000::/3 gateway=$HETunnelIPv6GatewayAddress scope=30 target-scope=10 comment=$HeTunnelComment
/ipv6 address add address=$HeTunnelIPv6ClientAddress advertise=no disabled=no eui-64=no interface=$HeTunnelInterfaceName comment=$HeTunnelComment
/ipv6 address add address=$HeTunnelIPv6RoutedPrefix interface=$bridgename advertise=yes eui-64=yes comment=$HeTunnelComment

/ipv6 nd set [ find default=yes ] advertise-dns=yes advertise-mac-address=yes managed-address-configuration=no other-configuration=yes
# Add DNS6 if desired. This uses cloudflare. HE Also provides their own DNS if you prefer that.
/ip dns set servers=2606:4700:4700::1111,2606:4700:4700::1001,1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1
Last edited by Xenhat on Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

belanger
just joined

Re: Working 6rd script for Videotron customers without Helix

Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:19 am

Took me long to find this script, I finally have a smile on my face and can let go google. tomorrow afternoon I'm supposed configure my new Fizz modem in bridge and at the same time, this new mikrotik router :) It's a lot of changes happening at the same time and if I can't make both v4/v6 coexist, I won't stick with fizz more than a month.

My understanding is that your script will also work for Fizz... but just earlier by chat, I was told they assign IPv6 address only when the IPv4 pool is exhausted Apparently you never get both and I'm worried now. I do wonder if I'll be able to do things like I've done since a long time. Will find out tomorrow.

Just so I understand clearly your script.

. ipv4relay
This is the IPv4 assigned to the modem?

. ipv4mask 0.3.255.255
I've never been a videotron customer, is that the actual IPv4 network for the 74.x.x.x/xx ?

Thanx for providing this script here even if it was a little bit hard to find.

Xenhat
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi!
I will address the points I can individually.
[...]
My understanding is that your script will also work for Fizz...
[...]
Technically speaking, this script will work with any provider, as long as the values it needs are available. It is tailored for Videotron, but a free tunnel provided by Hurricane Electric (He) uses a similar configuration as they both uses encapsulation methods to "shove" ipv6 inside ipv4. This is far from ideal, but it allows access to ipv6 until native rollout happens.
. ipv4relay
This is the IPv4 assigned to the modem?
No. The values are named as they are presented by the tool from Videotron. This is most likely the address of the ISP router doing the encapsulating/whatever.
. ipv4mask 0.3.255.255
I've never been a videotron customer, is that the actual IPv4 network for the 74.x.x.x/xx ?
There is no guarantee you can use this value as-is. I believe the network mask is dynamic/provided by the ISP script from internal data, these values don't appear to be calculable by themselves. Since Videotron owns several address pools, the value can be different depending on your public IPv4 address.

Final note: I do not know much about Fizz. If it uses the Videotron address pools, you may have some luck using this script without too many changes, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

belanger
just joined

Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Since my post above, I learned Fizz is owned by Videotron! The technician had a regular Videotron van to deliver the modem and check to make sure we had cable signal. 55$/m for 120/20 - speedtest ~130/24. No contract/no install fee, it's a no brainer. If you decide to switch - ELWLH.

Yes they use the same address space/network as Videotron.

With this new info, I'm going to try your script as-is and reply a little later.

belanger
just joined

Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:53 pm

I tried everything but couldn't get IPv6 to work... since I'm still quite new w/ mikrotik and first script, here's what I did to try it out.
. scp videotron-6rd.rsc mikrotik-gw:.
. ssh mikrotik-gw
. > import file-name=videotron-6rd.rsc
Script file loaded and executed successfully
FYI I noticed the IPv4 relay in your config currently points to a modem-cable IP address.
1.126.59.74.in-addr.arpa = modemcable001.126-59-74.mc.videotron.ca.
I've seen post from other users where the IP was different but within the same network range. As a Fizz customer, we don't have access to the Videotron tool to figure out the IPv6 config :/ If you have any suggestions to try, let me know - otherwise Fizz IPv6 might not an option for now.

Xenhat
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Working 6rd script for Videotron customers without Native ipv6 (HE Tunnel Broker)

Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:36 pm

I've added a new script making use of HE Tunnel Broker as I still do not have native ipv6 in my area and the old method no longer works.