Community discussions

MikroTik App

MrBZA
just joined
Topic Author

Netwatch permissions with global variables

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Netwatch has restricted permissions so it is not able to read or write global variables, this essentially makes it useless for integrating with complex monitoring scripting.
If you want to execute a script from netwatch, it can only have ‘read’ ‘write’ ‘reboot’ 'test’ permissions. Using global variables requires the ‘policy’ permission.

I saw some workarounds to this problem on another thread that essentially scripted the functionality of netwatch in a schedule. Another used static dns entries to replace global variables.

What worked for me was to schedule a status monitor for netwatch:
:global nwstatus  [/tool netwatch get [find comment="my netwatch host comment"] status]
This will be "up" or "down"

Hope it helps and if you have a better way, please share!

monfi
just joined

Re: Netwatch permissions with global variables

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks friend with this script reference, i did could write my own script in order to read state of an UPS! Kindly regards! from Loja,Ecuador, Latin America

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Netwatch permissions with global variables

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:27 am

Netwatch has restricted permissions so it is not able to read or write global variables, this essentially makes it useless for integrating with complex monitoring scripting.
If you want to execute a script from netwatch, it can only have ‘read’ ‘write’ ‘reboot’ 'test’ permissions. Using global variables requires the ‘policy’ permission.

I saw some workarounds to this problem on another thread that essentially scripted the functionality of netwatch in a schedule. Another used static dns entries to replace global variables.

What worked for me was to schedule a status monitor for netwatch:
:global nwstatus  [/tool netwatch get [find comment="my netwatch host comment"] status]
This will be "up" or "down"

Hope it helps and if you have a better way, please share!

very useful tip

thank you