Community discussions

MikroTik App

dwaite498
just joined
Topic Author

Central Mikrotik automatically upload files and run script for every mikrotik added later

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:28 pm

I am trying to find a way to use a single mikrotik as an automatic configuration installer. Currently each mikrotik is plugged in, connected to via winbox, files are uploaded manually and the config and run script after reset are selected. Is it possible for a pre programmed unit to see other Mikrotiks as they connect to the network and automatically push the config script and security certs to run (or have the settings of the host mikrotik automatically clone to every other mikrotik as it comes onto the local network).

I know the pushing of settings is not that difficult when both units already have settings that set up that sort of transfer but my sticking point is that the receiving units would still be default config and fresh out of the box.

Thanks!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Central Mikrotik automatically upload files and run script for every mikrotik added later

Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Yes, that is possible. You can change the default config using netinstall.
So you prepare an initial config for a new router (which does not need to include any specifics for the final config of each router) and you netinstall all your stocked routers with that, then once they are deployed they are prepared to receive the centrally managed config in the way you like.
It depends a lot on your network structure how you set that up, instead of "push" it is likely easier to let the new router "pull" its config, but that is up to you to decide.