Community discussions

MikroTik App

epigraphe
just joined
Topic Author

How to collect statistics about VPN connections?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:17 pm

There is a bunch of Mikrotik + Windows Radius (NPS) + AD. How can I handle statistics on VPN connections in some visual form? Mikrotik writes logs, I collect them in mikrotik syslog daemon, I filter by the line "logged in | out" but I just can not find how to process them later.
At the moment, I summarize the time of the sessions later in Excel, but this is inconvenient.
The task is simple - I need to get the total time that a person spent with VPN enabled. There can be several reconnects, you need a total amount per day.
Tell me, please, the simplest solution.
thanks

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to collect statistics about VPN connections?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:28 pm

I would use RADIUS accounting to collect such statistics.

epigraphe
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:51 pm

I would use RADIUS accounting to collect such statistics.
I use Network Policy Server Role as Radius and I have the opportunity to collect logs from the radius, but I can’t find a simple solution for my tasks, just connect a huge and heavy billing. Is there any simple solution to working with these logs?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:56 pm

How does your RADIUS server stores the accounting information? Is there an option to store it in a relational DB? You would then be able to use simple SQL queries for aggregation and reporting.

epigraphe
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:22 pm

Yes there is. I was looking for a ready-made version (script or PHP-request, or report generator), maybe someone did this. Because writing is not very difficult, but for a long time for me.