Community discussions

MikroTik App

Borja
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik config management by version control system (preferably git)

Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi there,
I've been reading the forum extensively for the last few days with the hope of finding some help about how the community manages config changes for Mikrotik devices and I've seen cool stuff out there like Unimus and Oxidized which allow you at least some level of confidence of applying config changes because you can always fallback to previous backups and so on.

That said the company I'm working on right now have a strong philosophy to have everything single infrastructure change in git (e.g. terraform for aws, puppet, ...) so we can easily get track of changes over time and take advantage of idempotency whenever possible and despite the tools I've mentioned before are great they still lack of such feature, yes you can maintain your device config in git but in order to fallback to previous configs you need to reset the device and apply the whole config again which would leads to having downtime.

Bearing in mind that there might be different workflows and ways of achieve this same goal (getting track of device config changes) I wonder if anyone has had to deal with this before and found a way by any framework or tooling that allow you to maintain a Mikrotik device status (json, yaml, xml, any other) that would be translated to which commands are needed to satisfy such status lets say that same approach terraform does for AWS infrastructure for example. In case that this sounds like martian or is way of different of what people uses in their daily basis I really would like to hear other suggestions based on success for managing config changes.

The only thing I've found so far that is close to what we're trying to reach is an abandoned git repository with some code that given config1(before) and config2 (after) it's able to return some commands that are necessary to be run to pass from config1 to config2, see https://github.com/eden3d/ansible-mikrotik-utils