Community discussions

MikroTik App

alewandowski
just joined
Topic Author

Failover routers

Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi guys! I'm forced to do the task, which I can't tell I'm 100% capable of doing.
Let me tell You what have I done/think about, and it would be great if You guide me a bit...
So I got like 25 points with Mikrotik GSM routers, each point has 2 of them. One is made to transmit all the time, the second one is failover.
They transmit video data to servers that are configured in high-availability
There will be VPN site-to-site on IPSec interconnecting points with servers
Because I've never written a script, I came with an easy solution, but i think it is not going to work.
The way i wanted it to work, was configuring netwatch on one of the routers, which will ping another server through another router, and if it fails he just power's up his port and take the transmission until the main comes up again.
/interface ethernet set "GSM" disabled=yes
But now it seems ultra stupid for me, can anybody see a better configuration to it?

alewandowski
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Failover routers

Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:35 pm

VRRP isn't right there, because router 1 need to check does the other one have a connection with the server. (and if it does, just stay on standby, if it doesn't transmit data to your server)
Is it possible to use routes+netwatch to do such a thing? I can't find any command telling router to just stop the transmission, but keep the connection