Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ozelo
Topic Author

Help on a "prevent-no-ip" script, pls

Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:49 pm

Ive got a setup on a AP thats use PPPOE server one the AP iface routing the traffic to another iface also using AAA with radius. The difficulties we got are kinda administrative only, so Im looking for a way to do this better with less work.

Customers grab a IP from a radius pool name attribute and there are two pools (pool_128 and pool_256). The shape is done using queue tree and pcq. The problem with this routed setup is that you must have a static number of IP addresses on each AP. This lead to a eventually undesired sub-utilization of IP address resources. (But its the best relation throughput per client we got so far)

Why? Cuz using two different rates on PCQ queue types must be done only using mangle and marks, then I must setup a number of networks (IP resources) for each rate. Perhaps there is a better setup? Dunno.

Ive been thinking on a better setup, but questions are nasty: Is there a way to have a central IP pool? Which means, several APs running PPPOE server on the wireless iface, queue trees, etc and then all customers do AAA with the same pool name attribute for each rate limit while I just need to publish one pool for 128 and one pool for 256 on a central IP pool facility.

Another thing I was thinking is a script solution, then decided to post here first.

Instead of overload a AP with IP address resources (where there are 62 addresses for an average 30 PPPOE connected), I would like to just setup pool with a total of "X" addresses and when all addresses from that pool are used, newcomers to connect just grab a private address NATed on the router to surf the web instead of no IP address error given.

Just didnt found yet a way, when a customer ask for a pool name received by radius attribute, to just give a private address one.

Please, help. Tia.
Ozelo

leonj
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Help on a "prevent-no-ip" script, pls

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 am

Hi,

Maybe this reply wont be 100% what you were looking for, but seeing that you mentioned you wanted to 'centralize' a bit. Why not route all you AP's and setup a central PPTP server. That way everyone on the network can work on the same subnet + the network is routed fully.

Maybe have a DHCP server on the AP's each in their own little subnet and the routing to the PPTP server.

Just a suggestion.

Ozelo
Topic Author

Re: Help on a "prevent-no-ip" script, pls

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:02 pm

Thank you for the tip! :)

Ive added a secondary pool with private addresses. When public addresses are fully used at that moment, newcomers use private addresses and masquerade eventually. Its not the best for home customers, but solved the lack of usable resources (public ip addresses).

Still hopefully interested on a kinda "IP address server" giving addresses for remote NAS devices.