MikroTik App

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Dual ISP (Smart NAT routing)

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:40 pm

Hi guys
Is it possible to setup 2 connection in mikrotik from two different ISP, and each connected user (which is behind NAT) will simultanously connect from two isp at same time deppend on the speed of each link to destination as such as following:

ISP A
ping time to google.com > 190ms
ping time to yahoo.com > 120ms

ISP B
ping time to google.com > 120ms
ping time to yahoo.com >210ms

and mikortik choose faster ISP for each session to each destination, how is that possible?

and also is it possible to let the user download from one single remote server using both connection without having extra session?

thanks in advance

PS: whats' BPG? how to check if Isp support this without asking themselves? do they have to key in something in their routers to let me have it?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:03 pm

btw ping time is not a good way of determining the speed of anything :)

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:45 pm

well ping time is the delay time to destination and both delay time and bandwidth of each link may change the speed, for example:

a file with 500 kilobyte size from a website is to be better to download from the LINK A who has 10 megabit bandwidth but 1000ms delay time compared to LINK B with 100ms delay time and 512kbps speed.

or a file with 50kilobytes of size is better to be downloaded from LINK B

its all math.
Please correct me if I am mistaking.

nikhil
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:33 pm

not necessarily if you drop / delay / deprioritize icmp pings may be back. I know for one that globally icmp (ping) is low priority traffic so ping is not the true test of speed anymore

fivenetwork

Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:36 am

Do what we do. Determine the routes to most popular IP series on each ISP. Then policy route them as per the fastest link. Not the neatest method but this works. If you are going to continually assess latencies and then decide on the route, your MT and you will soon be in a loony bin.

djape

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:54 pm

Well, guys, nobody gave an answer??

I am also interested in how to do this...

Cheers...

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:43 pm

You need a reliable tool to measure uplink speed for that.

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:04 pm

BGP Requires configuring the ISP's routers, also you would need an AS number and a globally addressable subnet.
Your ISP must apply for the ASn, and since we will run out of ASn's soon (64500 possible worldwide, we are using somewhere near 40000), it will take more than it used to, to get it. Also you must find and pay a LIR to apply for this for you.
Some would say that you dont need a Global ASN nor Global subnet but dealing with two different ISP's you _almost_ certainly have to.

I will personally null-route any ISP that gives away a global ASn to a guy that wants to "bundle" a couple of cable-modems. They cannot possibly be serious :-)

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:27 pm

hello, thanks for your post

what there are couple of things in your post that I have absolutely no idea what are they,

- what is AS number
-"CONFIGURING THE ISP ROUTERS" what settings for that???? what exactly? two isp must support that? and other than that all main frame routers from different company always configure each other routers for this purpose?
- what is LIR and how much we have to pay?
- what is GLOBAL ASN
- what is NULL ROUTE?

let me put my question simple...

what I personally (MANUALLY) do at the moment is (for large file downloading eg. over 100megabyte):
1. start downloading from download.com from ISP A and test the speed (for 500kb)
2. start downloading from download.com from ISP B and test the speed (for 500kb)
3. choose which one is faster
4. set my gateway to the faster ISP.

what I need is a CODE that can measure the average speed from two isp to each dest and categorize them

PLUS (this part is kind of SCIENCE FICTION request):

I want to be able to multisession request from both isp for downloading a file (assuming source server has resume support)

or

make up a proxy which will download a webpage using 2 or 3 or 4 isp simultaneously, For Example:

index.html contain its text and 01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

1. my proxy download index.html through ISP A
2. after detecting files inside webpage (0x.jpg)
3. start downloading all jpg files simultaneously each from one ISP (measuring their size)
4. transfer all data to user

it may be a good idea to transfer each file upon its download

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:35 am

hello, thanks for your post
I apologize i was trying to answer a different post :o|
- what is AS number
An over simplified explanation;
AS numbers are used to uniqely identify a routing policy or network.
BGP routers all have an AS number but this need not be unique for a bgp router, but rather unique for a network. If a router it talks to has the same AS number, then it's talking to a router internal on the same network (ibgp), if it's a different one it's an external one and hence treated differently. It's also used to help bgp routers discover loops. BGP is the common way of exporting your routes and importing other network routes. Often the BGP routers keep import the entire global routing tables.

-"CONFIGURING THE ISP ROUTERS" what settings for that???? what exactly? two isp must support that? and other than that all main frame routers from different company always configure each other routers for this purpose?
Nevermind :)
- what is LIR and how much we have to pay?
Local Internet Registrar. I suggest you hit http://www.ripe.net
- what is GLOBAL ASN
For private networks you may use private AS numbers (64500 -> 65535).
For annoucing your networks onto the internet you often have to have a public AS number (below 64500) to uniqely identify your network.
- what is NULL ROUTE?
Usually on routers you can have extra flags to routes that make it possible to drop all traffic that follows the route.
Kinda like in policy-routing except in the ordinary routing table.
Example: / ip policy-routing rule add action=drop dst-address=10.0.0.0/8
what I need is a CODE that can measure the average speed from two isp to each dest and categorize them
I would like that too, however i do not think it is very practical unless we want to spend all our available bandwidth optimizing our bandwidth (you would have to continously pull/push traffic to actually test it, not just guess). How about you use traffic accounting and see which networks are often used and spend time optimizing paths for those?

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2005 7:49 pm

is there any solutioin for what I asked? it's been around for quiet a while.

thanks again

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun May 01, 2005 8:23 pm

Yes, several. You just have to code it.

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2005 9:20 pm

do you mean MT scripting? is there any sample or how-to or existing code for this matter?

thanks

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 03, 2005 12:09 am

Probably not in MT script. No samples AFAIK.