Community discussions

MikroTik App

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

API web interface running on router?

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:12 am

If someone wanted to make a custom version of webbox using the API v3, is there a way to do this? This would be an interface that would run on the router itself, not a separate server, and be accessed through the web interface. Is there an interpreter in RouterOS that would allow you to write your own interface? Java? Perl?

Maybe I don't understand how the API is supposed to be implemented.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: API web interface running on router?

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 am

no, you cannot add your custom webpages to MT RouterOS. you may use virtualization feature (XEN) to run CentOS or something else on virtual machine to execute your own Webbox

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:27 pm

So there is no way to load a custom configuration page onto a MT router? There is no interpreter for the embedded web server that webbox runs under?

I know you can push some configuration commands to it using HTTP. This is how I was able to get the snooper function to work, even though it was broken in the interface. Really all I want to be able to do is set up port forwarding when nat is enabled. This is the most basic of configuration requirements. But there is no way to do this without going to winbox or console. I want to make it simple for users. Winbox or console are far too complex for most end users.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:47 pm

you may use RouterOS API with simple self-made program for newbie users

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Chupaka, Yes, we are working on a simple Delphi or Java interface based on the work posted in Forum by others. But this actually is less ideal than having a simple embedded web interface for end users. Webbox is very close to what we need. It has a few features that we don't want users to see and some basic features (port forwarding) that we need added. We are considering just moving to OpenWRT, but it is not nearly as stable as MT. But it does have a full feature LUA web interface.

srecko
just joined

Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:14 pm

If someone wanted to make a custom version of webbox using the API v3, is there a way to do this? This would be an interface that would run on the router itself, not a separate server, and be accessed through the web interface. Is there an interpreter in RouterOS that would allow you to write your own interface? Java? Perl?

Maybe I don't understand how the API is supposed to be implemented.
I do change the sites webbox over npk a package.