Community discussions

MaHr
just joined
Topic Author

Problem with using Mikrotik for scanning RLAN devices

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:58 pm

Hello,
I am using Mikrotik as AP which can recognize available RLAN devices in 5ghz band (in whole its range) by wireless scan and add information about position of actual scan from external GPS to own application. Therefore in API responses I didn't get all available information from this scan (not attr, only mac, ssid, band, level, noise, sn, radioname) and in response are also devices which is not active in time of scan (attr not passed - I don't know what device is still active), I am using telnet connection and read all scanned RLAN devices to own application. Everythink working good, but if running scan recognize more RLAN devices (if it is using in big cities with greatrer concentration of RLAN devices on one place, where AP is running), that available list of scanned devices (more than 20 - 30 devices scanned together) is it showed, but new devices not added to this list, only one possible way how it do it is stop scan and run it again. For eliminate that a bug is in my application I was run scan directly from telnet client (from telnet app under win XP on more than one PC) and I was get same result (for continuing scan I must stop wireless scan and run it again). I am using version 3.30 on RB433 and so v 3.30 on RB532.
Questions are followed:
- Is some limitation in length of response data via telnet connection (and for future also API), and why scan is frozen with greater scanned list? From my experience, scan is frozen if greater number of scanned devices are available during one sweep of 5ghz band (in big cities as mentioned above) or if many items (20 and more) are in list (new devices are recognized an old without active state are still in list) for longer time (15 - 30 minutes)
- Why if scan is running from winbox wireless scan, that list is refreshed all the time, when scan is running and attributes of scanned devices are available at the moment, without any problem? I thought that winbox is using same connection as is defined in API.
- Will be available information about RLAN device attributes (A as active, B as bridge, P as privacy and so on) in future version o API? In that way I think that is better in API response from wireless scan show only active devices, if attributes not available (therefore application which receive this response can process received data each time as data available and will be know if device will not in next response, that was not active during actual sweep scan)
Can You help me with this, please?
Many thanks for Your answer

Kind Regards and Have a nice day
Martin

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Problem with using Mikrotik for scanning RLAN devices

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:29 am

how you mean - not refreshed?

at least for me - full list is rewritten

Also, if there is paging for that menu, check if you have option - without-paging

MaHr
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problem with using Mikrotik for scanning RLAN devices

Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:23 pm

First I make telnet connection - then type "interface wireless scan wlan1" and list of scanned RLANs is displayed at each time as new sweep over 5ghz band was done and new RLAN devices are added to this list. If RLAN is still active in new sweep, atribute A as active is in column FLAGS otherwise A not present. Scan is running until not pressed key Q. If this scan running in big city when more APs is on same frekvency or is it scanned more than 20 - 30 RLAN i 5ghz band (5180 - 5865 MHz) in one sweep over 5ghz band, that page with list of scanned RLANs ended line [Q quit|D dump|C-z pause] look as has been refreshed, but in fact this list is still with same content. Is not possible to say, how this state become exactly, therefore in area with lower concentration of RLAN this state become after 1 - 2 hours, but in big cities, near the bulding, where is placed up to 20 - 30 RLAN together, this state become during 10 - 30 seconds. In first case (small area) is no problem to press Q and start scan again, but in second case (big cities) restart scan every 10 - 30 seconds is very discomfort.
I will check it again in big city as soon as possible and I let You new experience with this.
Of course is better use winbox, but I need to add gps position automaticly, where scan was run, therefore I read results from list mentioned above to my application for future presentation of results.
In last question in this Topic, I checked reading results via API, but without information, which RLAN is still active (becose in !re is missing FLAGS items), has it no sense.
By the way, I must let You know, in some case, Mikrotik is placed inside car and scanning is performed on the way (during driving car from point A to point B). I know that is it diferent use of Mikrotik, but We need it.
This is my explanation.
How You wrote, paging menu I found only in menu logging and there is option without-paging, but in wireless scan (under telnet) all items are displayed without paging automaticaly.
Regards
Martin