Community discussions

MikroTik App

taduikis
Topic Author

LCD on serial port of mipsbe RB

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Recently I came up with some neat idea of hooking up an alphanumeric LCD display to the serial port of mipsbe based routerboard (411 for example). I am aware that this would need a huge job of scripting. There are numerous ways of connecting standard well known HD44780 controller-based LCD displays via serial port and they work great on PC's. The purpose of this would be a very convenient testing/alignment solution, as we are now fooling around with some integrated panel antennas and a laptop, shouting what signal levels are seen. It is not generally needed to absolutely avoid the use of laptop, but having a nice LCD screen showing the signal level of desired AP just before your eyes would be very handy. Further improvements would include integrated rechargeable batteries inside the equipment container of the antenna, because there are plenty of space inside. And if going further, using RB433 with two WiFi NIC's would enable the total wireless testing solution as you could connect to it from your laptop wirelessly. And yes, I know about audible alignment monitor feature, but unfortunately it's not enough for us.

Could anyone provide some input about this idea? Is it even worth to try? Maybe I'm missing something here completely obvious. I searched the forum, there was something similar going on, but nothing specific, so I decided to start a new topic.

taduikis
Topic Author

Re: LCD on serial port of mipsbe RB

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:55 pm

I forgot to mention that the antennas being used looks like this:
http://www.itelite.net/more-pictures-po ... ng=2&num=1

As you can see there are lots of space inside the container and a very good flat surface on the back for the LCD screen or maybe even some control buttons. I am absolutely sure that it's possible to place some rechargeable batteries of any kind and a necessary charging circuit for them.

I did some thinking of using an AVR uC for some extended functionality, but that would involve even more programming..

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 pm

USB.. LCD (for the U series.)

I know of an easy and inexpensice USB to LCD adapter board... :)

Just need a few moments of "The boys" time to impliment it... :)

Hint Hint...

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 21, 2013 2:11 pm

any luck??

me trying to attach a 16x2 lcd to a RB450G

no luck so far..

lysy1033
just joined

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:39 pm

I will be doing that today. If results will be good I let ya know.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:46 am

if you succeed.... GOD WILL BLESS YOU with a lot of KARMA !!!!! :)

eagerly awaiting results....

-sid