MikroTik App

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

QoS: Skype

Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello network admins,
Everyone knows our PITA Skype protocol, and its peer to peer obfuscated connections.
To identify the traffic, usually I used the L7 patterns found on protocol.info.
While sometimes it worked pretty fine, I noticed a lot of overmatch (mostly P2P downloads)
After an hardware failure (damn CF cards) i had to reconfigure a QoS, i thought a better way to identify Skype traffic..
I searched some info about Skype protocol and found this interesting presentation on blackhat.com site where the author hijacked the Skype network. At page 75, I found a interesting pattern of Skype connections which can be used to identify Skype traffic.
The very first UDP packet received by a Skype client will be a NAck
This packet is not crypted
This packet is used to set up the obfuscation layer
Skype can’t communicate on UDP without receiving this one
NAck packet: how does Skype know the public IP
1 At the begining, it uses 0.0.0.0
2 Its peer won’t be able to decrypt the message (bad CRC)
3 =) The peer sends a NAck with the public IP
4 Skype updates what it knows about its public IP accordingly
We can use this NAck packet to identify the peers, and mark the connections to that peer (at max 50kbps)..

Identify the NAck packet
We know that the NAck packet size is 39 bytes and there should be our public IP from the 4th byte of the payload.
We need a customized L7 filter to match the 4th byte.
IE: my public IPs are 92.x.x.x and 213.x.x.x so my matching regex will be:
[\\|\xd5]
[\\ = 92
| = or 
\xd5] = 213
where \\ is 92 and \xd5 is 213 (you can calcolate your hex resolution here)
Here's the ROS Rules:
/ip firewall layer7-protocol add name=skypenack regexp="[\\\\|\\xd5]"
/ip firewall mangle add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=skype address-list-timeout=1h chain=forward disabled=no layer7-protocol=skypenack packet-size=39 protocol=udp
TODO: Refine the L7 pattern to avoid overmatch

Marking the Traffic
Mark the traffic from/to the fresh address list that don't exceed the 50kbit bandwidth usage (to not include the skype file transfers)
 /ip firewall mangle add action=mark-connection chain=forward connection-rate=0-50k disabled=no new-connection-mark=conn_skype passthrough=yes protocol=udp src-address-list=skype
/ip firewall mangle add action=mark-connection chain=forward connection-rate=0-50k disabled=no dst-address-list=skype new-connection-mark=conn_skype passthrough=yes protocol=udp
/ip firewall mangle add action=mark-packet chain=forward connection-mark=conn_skype disabled=no new-packet-mark=skype passthrough=no
Try this out and give feedbacks and suggestions
Last edited by Muqatil on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyrilpahreba
just joined

Re: QoS: Skype

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:02 pm

How to change that rule if I have only one public ip: 213.x.x.x.
For what version of routeros it is suited?

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:05 am

This works with all the version post 3.20 i think... Tested on 4.11 and 5.0RC1
/ip firewall layer7-protocol add name=skypenack regexp="\\xd5"

cyrilpahreba
just joined

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks ti seems it works fine. Matching only skype communication. I test it on main router. I will give you now, if any problem.
I still dont understant that l7 rule:
213 is d5, you put there \\xd5 (why also \\x)
92 is 5c

my ip is x.y.z.q, you use just x in that rule or also something else?

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Thank you for your Feedback!
"\\xd5": the backslashes are doubled because one is an escape for the code.. if you insert them by winbox GUI, you don't need it, while you need it by CLI.
92 is 5c but ROS checks ASCI codes before HEX, so "\\" means "\x5c" (Don't ask me the reasons of this behaviour :lol: ) If you insert \x5c, ROS will return you an error..
my ip is x.y.z.q, you use just x in that rule or also something else?
I'm using only x. Maybe you can refine it with y and z, but the improvement will be minimal

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:33 pm

The very first UDP packet received by a Skype client will be a NAck
This packet is not crypted
This packet is used to set up the obfuscation layer
Skype can’t communicate on UDP without receiving this one
NAck packet: how does Skype know the public IP
3 =) The peer sends a NAck with the public IP
We can use this NAck packet to identify the peers, and mark the connections to that peer (at max 50kbps)..
Very interesting topic.

Some questions/remarks though:
1. What if several Skype users are behind one NAT firewall? Is Skype not using more info on the subscriber (like src port-IP combination) so several Skype comms can run at the same time from one IP?
But I presume that that is not so important to us. We need to filter Skype then before we apply the natting on it? What is your suggestion? In a mixed network with even some old rb112's around should we do this at the client CPE and then give that traffic a TOS marker over the rest of the network?
Or should we do it in the prerouting chain on the local port of the border router (=more powerfull)?

2. Skype made its protocol hard to catch not to have it easy blocked by ISP's. If we now found an relative easy way of identifying its traffic we can off course prioritize it to grant it a better quality but at the same time it can be used to block it as well.... How long would it take for Skype to modify their initial ´handshaking´ so your solution won't work any longer?

3. Is this first package always the same for all Skype versions. So, does it work on all Skype versions? And how easy can they change the package to avoid us finding it?

4. Maybe we, (W)ISP's that actually want to help Skype traffic to highest QoS leves should ask Skype developers to embed a sort of ´disguise/recognize´ button on each skype. If they would have a special package embedded in their default Skype program that makes the whole data stream very simple recognizable the ISP's (and router manufacturer's) can easy filter it and prioritize it.
Then, if user thinks he is denied or shaped his Skype connection he could go into ´obscured´ mode so blocking would become very hard...
I know, this is something Skype developers have to do but it needs a gentle kick under their *ss to get it done...

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:32 am

A lot of questions! :lol:
1. I suggest to use this on your border router, since is quite cpu intensive (for a RB112, a RB411 might handle this without problems).
The NACK packet has the pubblic address not natted so you need to specify the public IPs that usually your ISP gives you (a business connection has either a static IP or a small range of public IPs) in the L7 pattern.
2. I don't know if Skype will change its Acknowledge methods soon, since it has to preserve legacy connections between old skype versions and newer ones.
3 Yes, it looks like the package is always the same.
4 The Disguise/Recognize button is a great idea imho ;)

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:35 am

The NACK packet has the pubblic address not natted so you need to specify the public IPs that usually your ISP gives you (a business connection has either a static IP or a small range of public IPs) in the L7 pattern.
I am afraid I don't fully understand this..
My CPE is on a local IP. Meaning all traffic leaving from this CPE has an IP address from its WAN facing interface.
Only in the border router the IP gets translated into the public IP.

Should I not use the CPE-WAN address in your "regexp="\\xd5" " code? (The xd5 has to be representing my real IP class A notificaton)
If I use this filter now on my CPE and give the packets a TOS value which then can be used by all routers for priority this TOS value stays the same even in the case the IP in the packet header is changed by the srce-NAT rule in my border router?

OR, should I better filter Skype on packets already having the public IP address assigned? (So on a router ´outside´ my border router. I have a transparant router doing QoS on packets already src.natted by main gateway router of my network.
Now the code can represent the public IP and since we make connection markers anyway the conn. tracker takes care both directions of Skype traffic will get priority by designed rules and this priority then persists on the Skype package even on my local network?
Advantage in this setup would be that now a more powerfull router takes care of the L7 filter.
Disadvantage will be the the first initial traffic generated by the Skype software from the client cannot be filtered on its firt voyage from the CPE to the border router. (Since only after that border router my transparant QoS router will filter it.)

What do you think of this?

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:36 pm

The NACK Packet always returns with the Public IP (Necessary for Skype peering) so your regex (even in a natted CPE) must contain your class A Public address range.
I saw a very low impact on performance, so i think you can use your idea of TOS from the CPE.
The NACK Packet anyway doesn't exchange any valuable data beside the Public IP so it's not involved on skype calls or chats. Another connection will be established for that. But you already recognized the Source/Destination IPs ;)
I don't know much about your network infrastructure, so i cannot recommend you the best way to QoS it.

anius
just joined

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Can I block skype, if I drop "skype" address list, skype still working?

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm

I didn't try to block Skype. Just try it. It should connect but if you drop connections, it shouldn't exchange any data..

anius
just joined

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:25 am

I drop "skype" address list, but I still can talk and call, everything works. In drop rule packets count grow, so drop work fine... :(

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:58 am

Post your dropping rules..

anius
just joined

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:15 pm

/ip firewall layer7-protocol print
# NAME REGEXP
0 skypenack [\x4a\.\x3a\.\xda\.\xca]

/ip firewall mangle print
2 X chain=forward action=add-src-to-address-list protocol=udp
address-list=skype address-list-timeout=1h layer7-protocol=skypenack
packet-size=39

/ip firewall filter print (first forward rule)
27 ;;; Skype
chain=forward action=drop dst-address-list=skype

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:58 pm

drop src-address-list too

anius
just joined

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:54 am

I'm already tried drop:
src
dst
src and dst
Whether someone was able to block skype?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:41 pm

The NACK Packet always returns with the Public IP (Necessary for Skype peering) so your regex (even in a natted CPE) must contain your class A Public address range.
By public IP you mean the IP assigned by the ISP to the NAT router that connects the rest of the network to the internet?
What about a NAT router that has several 10ths of users all using Skype but they all get out to the internet with the same public IP. How does Skype now know to which traffic belongs?
In such case that many users are behind NAT firewall and Skype would only work with public nat than Skype also needs to know the port numbers. Otherwise it cannot distinguis between different users.

Or, the public IP of the Nack packet must be set by nat router and in the return is set back to users local IP?

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm already tried drop:
src
dst
src and dst
Whether someone was able to block skype?
In the Opening Post, i linked a pdf of a guy that analyzed skype protocol..
Look there if you find something useful.
This thread is not meant for blocking skype, but only to recognize it.
By public IP you mean the IP assigned by the ISP to the NAT router that connects the rest of the network to the internet?
What about a NAT router that has several 10ths of users all using Skype but they all get out to the internet with the same public IP. How does Skype now know to which traffic belongs?
In such case that many users are behind NAT firewall and Skype would only work with public nat than Skype also needs to know the port numbers. Otherwise it cannot distinguis between different users.

Or, the public IP of the Nack packet must be set by nat router and in the return is set back to users local IP?
I think you are overseeing the whole NACK packet story..
There's no way to identify skype connections or packets, the only packet that does keep the same pattern is the NACK Packet.
Once we get the source address of that NACK packet, we can identify the skype peers and then mark the connection between the peer and your CPE. No matter where you filter that packet, even after 3 nats, it will always contain the public ip of your network.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:34 am

I am struggling to get this to work but so far no luck. All that I can make to happen is that when logging into Skype the first time a series of ´foreign´ IP's are listed in my "skype" address list.
When Skype is just standby sometimes I see a new IP beeing add.
But thats it. The next mangle rules that are looking for these IP's either as dst-address or src-address and with given speed with udp protocol are not counting anything.

So I still have some questions:
- This "NACK" package, is that generated when client logs in for the first time and the Skype program contacts Skype nodes or supernodes?
- Or is this "Nack" package also generated each time a connection is build to make a communication session?
- I already learned that Skype-to-Skype is something different than "Skype-to-PSTN". Would this make any difference for the discussd methode?
- Skype communication with camera? How do we filter this traffic. Is the video stream completely separated from the voice data stream? I also learned that Skype adapts needed bandwith for the video stream to the available bandwith. It can use up to 1Mb up and download if given! But even with 300kbps a lesser video conversation is possible.

The IP's the filter is catching and putting them in the "skype" address list; what are these IP's? Are they nodes / supernodes, or are they IP's of clients skype shows are ´online´?
Why do we give these IP¡s a timeout of 1 hour anyway? I understand nodes and supernodes can move but I would say "not every hour"! And even so, if they move, Skype client program has to find the new nodes and will therefore send new "nack" package? (Which we will find..)

wirelesswaves

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi Medianet.

I need some convincing!

I have tried out your suggestions, however I could not get any matches by using the first octet of my ISP's IP in the layer 7 match.

My PC is routed up to the point of my gateway, at which point I am natted (but only the once)

However, on some clients CPE's I have tried the same rules, but by changing the match to the local networks first octet. Lets say for example that my cpe's wlan 1st octet is 187, it so happens on my network that the cpe ethernet interface also has the same 1st octet 187.

Under those circumstances, there are some matches, but I suspect that these are random entries and that it would be chaos if it wasn't for the fact that the following mangle rules have refined the connections by using "connection rate" matchers...

(incidentally I refined those to 15k-45k!) and finalised the whole routine by applying dscp46 which is then used for shaping and qos in the gateway (pcq)

All said, it seems to work fine, but I suspect that it is by more of the influence of the connection rate traps rather than by the layer 7 match.

I tried wireshark, but I could see no evidence of what has been suggested.

Have you proved it by using "wireshark" or "ethereal" and if so, what filters did you use to prove the case.

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 am

I am struggling to get this to work but so far no luck. All that I can make to happen is that when logging into Skype the first time a series of ´foreign´ IP's are listed in my "skype" address list.
When Skype is just standby sometimes I see a new IP beeing add.
But thats it. The next mangle rules that are looking for these IP's either as dst-address or src-address and with given speed with udp protocol are not counting anything.
Do you have some UDP dropping rules? Usually Skype will try to establish a UDP connection, if it fails, it will try with TCP. You might also try to remove the speed limit and adjust it later accordingly (I'm not thinking that my rules are perfect)
So I still have some questions:
- This "NACK" package, is that generated when client logs in for the first time and the Skype program contacts Skype nodes or supernodes?
- Or is this "Nack" package also generated each time a connection is build to make a communication session?
Nodes and Supernodes (which are clients like you (nodes and few supernodes) or dedicated servers (supernodes)) need to "let you know" which is your real ip to establish the obfuscation layer for the connection
Problem 1: how does Skype know the public IP ?
3 The peer sends a NAck with the public IP
- I already learned that Skype-to-Skype is something different than "Skype-to-PSTN". Would this make any difference for the discussd methode?
- Skype communication with camera? How do we filter this traffic. Is the video stream completely separated from the voice data stream? I also learned that Skype adapts needed bandwith for the video stream to the available bandwith. It can use up to 1Mb up and download if given! But even with 300kbps a lesser video conversation is possible.
As stated above, even for Skype-to-PSTN skype obfuscates the traffic, which requires the NACK Packet.
You can think about removing at all the speed limit on mangle rules. It might increase the false positives but i found that they aren't that many.
The IP's the filter is catching and putting them in the "skype" address list; what are these IP's? Are they nodes / supernodes, or are they IP's of clients skype shows are ´online´?
Why do we give these IP¡s a timeout of 1 hour anyway? I understand nodes and supernodes can move but I would say "not every hour"! And even so, if they move, Skype client program has to find the new nodes and will therefore send new "nack" package? (Which we will find..)
Those IPs are nodes and supernodes (which are clients like you (nodes and few supernodes) or dedicated servers (supernodes)).
I noticed that when you make a new call, the node you are calling, refreshes the nack packet. but it's not confirmed yet. You can increase that timeout. I tried to make the mangling as tigher as possible. It can be more elastic. Up to your needs once again.

Thank you for your interest btw. Your tests help me a lot :)

Hotz1

Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:21 pm

# NAME REGEXP
This regexp will match if the first seven bytes of the packet are /x4a, '.', /x3a, '.', /xda, '.', and /xca. We want to match the first four bytes with the IP address (there are no ASCII '.' characters between the bytes), so leave out the dots: \x4a\x3a\xda\xca.

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:27 pm

# NAME REGEXP
This regexp will match if the first seven bytes of the packet are /x4a, '.', /x3a, '.', /xda, '.', and /xca. We want to match the first four bytes with the IP address (there are no ASCII '.' characters between the bytes), so leave out the dots: \x4a\x3a\xda\xca.
I've tried adding the L7 filter using the regexp format you suggested, but I get an error.

E.g. If I convert 41.216.201.99 (not my real IP, just an example), to HEX and and write it like this:
/ip firewall layer7-protocol add name=skypenack regexp="[\\x29\\xd8\\xc9\\x63]"
Then I get the following error:
failure: regexp contains a control character, ), in hex (\x29). recommended to write this as ) or \) depending on what you meant
Does anyone know how I can fix my code?

Hotz1

Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:07 pm

E.g. If I convert 41.216.201.99 (not my real IP, just an example), to HEX and and write it like this:
/ip firewall layer7-protocol add name=skypenack regexp="[\\x29\\xd8\\xc9\\x63]"
Then I get the following error:
failure: regexp contains a control character, ), in hex (\x29). recommended to write this as ) or \) depending on what you meant
As an earlier poster in this thread mentions, ROS seems to prefer the ASCII form to the hex form for certain characters, so just replace the \x29 in the pattern with the \) that it recommends.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:55 pm

So, is anyone now using this Skype filter to satisfaction?

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 pm

As an earlier poster in this thread mentions, ROS seems to prefer the ASCII form to the hex form for certain characters, so just replace the \x29 in the pattern with the \) that it recommends.
Ah, thanks. I must of missed that. I had been using the [\29] regexp, but wanted to try matching my entire Static IP. Omitting the "x", makes it work now.
So, is anyone now using this Skype filter to satisfaction?
I've been testing it for the last few days and it seems to work quite well.

Using just the [\29] regexp, it frequently picks up addresses in this range, 213.146.167.1-213.146.189.254, and this range, 149.13.32.0/24. I used IP Lookup websites and discovered that they all belonged to Skype.

It also finds a lot of other IPs as well, which I assume are the various different peers and nodes.

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Just thought I'd mention that it's not as good as I originally though it was... it only seems to pick up the "Echo / Sound Test Service" calls, nothing else.

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Actually it picks the IP addresses of the skype users. After that the connections are crypted and you cannot recognize them anymore. But you have still those IP addresses: Just mark any connection of around 50kbps between your IPs and Skype IPs. You might have some false positive, but it's a good deal anyway.

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:42 pm

That's what I'm doing.

I use the hex of my static public IP as the layer 7 protocol in the format mentioned above. I then have a mangle rule that adds IPs to an address list using that L7 protocol. Another two mangle rules mark all connections to and from those IPs and the 4th rule marks all packets on those connections.

If I make an echo / sound test call then the last rule marks a lot of traffic / packets, but if I make a call to another skype user it marks virtually nothing.

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Did you try to log off skype and relog? it should recognize all the IPs of your contacts online.. (at least it's how it works with me)

Gareth
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:04 pm

I've tried that but still get the same result.

Do you think my testing might be flawed? Could I be having trouble because I'm testing a call between two computers on a NATed network? You see, in an attempt to avoid over matching I configured my address list adding rule to ignore the public IP of my home network. i.e not add it to the address list. The IP of the contact is therefore my IP :lol:

crodler
just joined

Re: QoS: Skype - another approach?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 pm

If we have multiple public IPs, shouldn't there be a way to force all skype clients to use one specific "public IP for skype", manipulating the not crypted NAck packets?

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:14 pm

I think i did not explain correctly how does the nACK matcher works..
To let the L7 pattern work correctly, you have to arrange it with the "Range" of your Pubblic IP addresses...
You need only the first bits of the ip address (IE 78.x.x.x). If you have multiple IP ranges, you can add them all to the L7 pattern with the | (OR) character.
If your Pubblic IP addresses are dynamically assigned by your provider, you can still use the range that you usually get of your Pubblic IP.
If the range changes continuosly, i can't help you :D

mansoor
just joined

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:37 pm

Here are the best configurations for mikrotik skype optimization QoS. https://www.mansooryousaf.com/blogs/mik ... igurations

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 am

Here are the best configurations for mikrotik skype optimization QoS. https://www.mansooryousaf.com/blogs/mik ... igurations
1. You did not put any reference to this thread and you just stole someone else work for your own site.
2. The L7 rules you used do not apply for everyone. See my first post.

Shahhid
just joined

Tue May 09, 2023 1:05 pm

Some of the best recommendations are here for you Web designing in Lahore, https://www.trodosofts.com/