Community discussions

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

script challenge....

Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:47 am

Who can help me to make a script?
I don't have the time and don't understand 80% of script language so definitely need help. :o
This script will definately make it into the wiki since such tool has been requested for by many...

The scipt should performing the following, wireless scan:

During remote login session to a wireless unit we want to scan in the working band of that unit (and thus in its spectrum environment) the usage of other frequencies. This has to happen in 5, 10, 20 and 40Mhz (if possible) bandwidth.

I presume each time the radio has to be set in its band (5, 10 or 20 / 40Mhz) before a scan can run.
Than, after the scan ran for about 30 secs, the results have to be dumped in a file called "scan result 5Ghz-5Mhz", "scan result 5Ghz-10Mhz" etc.

After all scans have done, wireles should be set back to last working condition and associates to AP again.

After all this the results can be downloaded from CPE to operator's workstation for troubleshooting.
THIS FEATURE IS VERY IMPORTANT ON WIRELESS CONNECTION WITH MANY INTERFERENCE ISSUES!!!
A scan in the AP only is only telling a little bit on what is going on.

I'm not getting further then: \ interface wireless scan 0 duration=30

I'll guarantee you'll earn karma with a good result! And become famous within MT forum!
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: script challenge....

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Nobody? Somebody must be know how to do this???

Rudy R. Puister

bburley
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:08 am

As you might have seen, I have played with this before. The problem is that the output of the wireless scan is sent to the terminal (telnet or serial port interface) but there isn't any variables used that could hold the output until they could be read by a script.

The ping tool has its results stored in readable variables, but then the information to be stored is relatively simple and predictable. The output of the wireless scan contains significantly more data. It would likely take an array to be able to store the output. The next problem would be that without limits on the duration of the scan, the array could become quite large very fast. The amount of information would also increase rapidly with a busy radio spectrum.

A "logging" or "capture" function to send the terminal output to a file would be a very good solution, but this would have to be coded into the MikroTik firmware. Without imposed limits, it could potentially use up the routers available storage, if not carefully executed, and cause impaired router operation.

The Tera Term program that I mentioned before has the ability to capture terminal output, but being an external program, it would only solve your problem if it was installed on the client's computer, and the client agreed to leave his PC running so that it could be executed on an after-hours schedule.

If a small board with flash memory could be made to run a program like Tera Term, you could install it at the customer location for problem sites and trigger its execution remotely. Perhaps this could be done with an embedded Linux OS. The probable cost of this solution is probably not what you were looking for.

The only other solution that I can see is to continue lobbying/harrassing MikroTik for including this feature in a future release.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:21 pm

As you might have seen, I have played with this before. The problem is that the output of the wireless scan is sent to the terminal (telnet or serial port interface) but there isn't any variables used that could hold the output until they could be read by a script.

The ping tool has its results stored in readable variables, but then the information to be stored is relatively simple and predictable. The output of the wireless scan contains significantly more data. It would likely take an array to be able to store the output. The next problem would be that without limits on the duration of the scan, the array could become quite large very fast. The amount of information would also increase rapidly with a busy radio spectrum.

A "logging" or "capture" function to send the terminal output to a file would be a very good solution, but this would have to be coded into the MikroTik firmware. Without imposed limits, it could potentially use up the routers available storage, if not carefully executed, and cause impaired router operation.

The Tera Term program that I mentioned before has the ability to capture terminal output, but being an external program, it would only solve your problem if it was installed on the client's computer, and the client agreed to leave his PC running so that it could be executed on an after-hours schedule.

If a small board with flash memory could be made to run a program like Tera Term, you could install it at the customer location for problem sites and trigger its execution remotely. Perhaps this could be done with an embedded Linux OS. The probable cost of this solution is probably not what you were looking for.

The only other solution that I can see is to continue lobbying/harrassing MikroTik for including this feature in a future release.
I just answered a reply of them to one of my other post re this item. It only looks they don't understand or don't really see the value of such a tool.
I presume in Latvia they are the only ones filling the spectrum and they have full control of it since its all theirs!

I think the real world is slowly filling all free bands and a serious operator needs such a tool to troubleshoot client locations on a regular base.
So yes, we all need to lobby as hard as we can to get such tool embedded in ROS.

Rudy R. Puister

merlinthemagic7
just joined

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Does your radios have the ability to run the spectrum scan? I know you are looking for a dump of the wireless scan, but a spectrum scan will give you a more complete picture. I assume the challenge is reading the spectrum files generated by i.e.:
/interface wireless spectral-scan 0 duration=20 range=5ghz save-file-name=remotescan5Ghz
Here is a site that will convert the binary into a CSV file you can use:
http://chr-2.martinpetermadsen.com/Merl ... ectrumScan
Last edited by merlinthemagic7 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:46 pm

Does your radios have the ability to run the spectrum scan? I know you are looking for a dump of the wireless scan, but a spectrum scan will give you a more complete picture. I assume the challenge is reading the spectrum files generated by i.e.:
/interface wireless spectral-scan 0 duration=20 range=5ghz save-file-name=remotescan5Ghz
Here is a site that will convert the binary into a CSV file you can use:
http://publictools.merlindynamics.com/M ... ectrumScan
Your comment is on a very old post of mine. But the truth is that Mikrotik's radios witht eh ac chip still don't run a scan.

The rest is solved. The add an option to dump a scan into a file that then can be exported and red.

Rudy R. Puister