Community discussions

MikroTik App

alfrqan
Topic Author

Hotspot- 2 users sharing traffic!

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:40 pm

HI

i actaulay am looking for a way that i can give to 2 shared users a speed limit.if one of them is not online , the speed limit will doubled!
i mean a username in hotspot with 2 shared users!
i hope u understand me

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Hotspot- 2 users sharing traffic!

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:53 pm

There are two options for this, neither one is simple. If you're looking for a check box to check there's no such solution, you're asking for something rather complicated and while possible it'll be a lot of work.

a) you can use address lists tied to user profiles to get people's IPs on firewall address lists on login. Then use those in mangle to mark the packes, and then use PCQ queue trees tied to global-in or global-out to override the simple queues. A PCQ queue with 512k up/down per user tied to a queue tree with 512k up/down would effectively give a single user 512k, when a second user logs in everyone gets 256k. Downside: not very dynamic since you have to prepare the mangle rules and queues for each user account separately. If you have lots of user accounts to do this for the router is going to slow to a crawl with all those mangle rules. You can see http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/U ... xWindt.pdf for more details.

b) write a RADIUS solution (User Manager won't do for this) that uses hooks to send out CoA packets to the router changing user's rate limits on the fly. See http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RA ... horization for details. This is very scalable, but will require you to do custom programming on your RADIUS server. FreeRADIUS could definitely do this, but there's no boxed solution available.

alfrqan
Topic Author

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Thankx
i have 1800mb free ram and also i am using core 2 duo processor!
is good to use it with method #1?

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Definitely maybe.

It depends on how many users you're going to do this with. And what else the router is doing.

Try it out, see what happens.