Community discussions

MikroTik App

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Down bursting

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:30 pm

I use simple queues to traffic shape users and I love bursting option = to allow them higher burst speed for faster browsing, but limit overall speed for downloaders.

I run community network so Internet is available for free or almost free requiring users to fair use policy. There are some people who do not obey and notoriously download 24hrs a day, thus limiting other's user access.

Is it possible to have some script that wil monitor specific simple queue and if it finds that averag download speed is greater that specified, it disables simle queue and enables other one, which is more restrictive, then monitor restricting queue and if download speed is below some specified it reverts back to usual simple queue?

This is some kind of downbursting which wil mixed with simpel queue bursting create policu like this: users can use specific sped, bursted to higher speed for short time, but if they use allowed speed for a long time, it will be decreased too.

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:45 pm

This could be done without scripting using queue bursts. Read the queues manual http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.9/ro ... 6478323135

ponline
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:15 pm

I think you are trying to achieve the same thing as I am, but EUGENE is in love with QUEUE BURSTS.

Read the last few posts of this topic:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:37 am

I think you are trying to achieve the same thing as I am, but EUGENE is in love with QUEUE BURSTS.
:D Not quite, I just don't want to put extra effort to do something. And queue burst are way easier to implement, something like:
/queue simple add target-addresses=<IP adress> max-limit=64000 burst-limit=128000 burst-threshold=64000 burst-time=1d

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:03 pm

O would like to use queues but MT documentation on that subject is simply not enough to learn.

However, example you posted seems to be the simle yueue setup. I already ise that and it allows bursting to higher speed. What I am looking for is extension to such simpel queue do downburst (limit speeed tolover than allowed in simple queue).

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:00 pm

Well, try to think differently. The burst is not doing some 'upbursting' or 'downbursting', rather it toggles between two values: the max-limit and the burst-limit depending on the traffic rate (amount). Effectively, you have both 'upbursting' and 'downbursting' at the same time.

In case of 'downbursting' consider the burst-limit as the effective max-limit of the queue and the max-limit would become effective 'downburst limit'.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:56 pm

Yes, I understand what is your point, but your example confused me.

I thought there is no way to combine two simple queues or simple queue with other queue at all, so I canot understand how to achieve to make combination of upburstng and dwonbursting with queues and not with scripts.

I would appreciate example to get on right track.

cylent

Re: Down bursting

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:51 am

I use simple queues to traffic shape users and I love bursting option = to allow them higher burst speed for faster browsing, but limit overall speed for downloaders.
wow cool. i love bursting too but am stupified on how to do it.
can someone provide a simple queue script for http browsing with bursting?

i'd be EVER SO GRATEFUL!

Eugene
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:47 am

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:18 am

cylent, if you think that the manual can't teach you anything, maybe Eugene in person will. Please attend one of MikroTik's trainings (see http://training.mikrotik.com )