Community discussions

MikroTik App

jcl247
just joined
Topic Author

IP Addressing Script

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:57 am

Hi, I am trying to come up with a script that will get whatever the IP address is on Port 1 (dynamically assigned by my ISP) and then assign this same address to the device I have on Port 5. I can manually do this but want this script to run on schedule in case my WAN address changes. It could run in conjunction with a DynDNS update script.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Re: IP Addressing Script

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am

Hi, I am trying to come up with a script that will get whatever the IP address is on Port 1 (dynamically assigned by my ISP) and then assign this same address to the device I have on Port 5.
You can't have the same address on two different devices (at least, this is a very very very wrong way of doing things if it even works at all). What is it you are trying to achieve? Perhaps you could give some more details and, preferably, a network diagram.

jcl247
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi, I should have clarified I was going to remove Port 5 from the bridge local (if thats the right terminology) and make it a separate network.

What I want to do is similar to this http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16710. This is to make Verizon Fios Internet and TV work the best it can while using MikroTik as the main router. I am trying to eliminate the third router since MikroTik can create several different networks.

Topology would be WAN to Ether 1 on the Mikrotik, Ether 2 to my 52 port switch (main network for all devices) and the Ether 5 feeding the WAN port on the Verizon Router. According to what I've read the Fios router needs to think it is the primary router thus it needs to receive the WAN address Verizon assigns. I've had this setup in numerous different ways and all of the "easy" ways have caveats and certain things don't work, particularly caller ID on the screen and the Verizon apps don't function as well as they could. I'm mainly looking for a way to give my clients all the functionality they want while making maintenance as easy as possible.

NAB
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:14 am

Yeee-ouch. That's nasty and I'm surprised it works at all.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:34 am

All I can say is WTF...

What I can say is RouterOS CANNOT have the same address assigned on multiple interfaces.

Can you explain why you can't just port forward directly?

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:38 am

All I can say is WTF...

What I can say is RouterOS CANNOT have the same address assigned on multiple interfaces.

After looking at that I'm wondering if using a 260GS or something and mirroring the ports would work... it would be a complete hack, but could be interesting to test it.

jcl247
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:03 pm

All I can say is WTF...

Supposedly the Fios router needs to see the homes external IP on its WAN port or it won't allow advanced functionality to work, even with port forwarding. I haven't done a whole lot of testing on this, I currently just have my Fios router as a device on my network and cable TV works just not the advanced stuff. I think I'll do a little more testing and then see if its worth trying to explore this more. It was really just a theory that I thought should work since I've read that Mikrotik can essentially act as 5 separate routers (for the five port models).

Thanks for the insight everyone. I'll report back if anything interesting happens.

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:45 pm

That's just messed up... Talk about some goofy fios engineers. There is no reason they couldn't design it to work behind another router.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk