Community discussions

slackR
Topic Author

Global Variable SNMP oid

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Hello,

I've been thinking about how to use SNMP to graph data like DHCP lease count in ROS. Then I thought it would be very useful if ROS could make an SNMP oid point to global script variable so that you could schedule a script to pull any value you want. Then you could retreve the value with SNMP.

Uses:

DHCP lease count
BGP prefix count
BGP/VPN peer uptime
route hop count
Wireless client registration count
Custom script values for endless uses

wispgeek
just joined

Re: Global Variable SNMP oid

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:26 pm

This is a very useful feature for monitoring which many of us do using snmp, I personally run zabbix.
I'm wondering if there is any chance that this feature is being implemented?
I would currently like to query a count of addresses in a particular list, but can see future uses for passing variables via snmp if it were available.

isoplayert
just joined

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm

hi
am working on a solution that is based on LTE interfaces and i want to create a script that run every 1 min and send USSD code inquering about the SIM data balance and store that value in a global variable , it would be realy nice and helpfull if i can pass this value with custome-user OID and view it on the Dude Server , and make the dude notifying me if a data-balance is reaching certain threshold.

please add this feature to the ROS

isoplayert
just joined

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:54 pm

hi
for my case i found another approach to view global variable on Dude's screen , since the dude can connect to mikrotik CPE using SNMP or ROS , i can pull the global variable using the ROS method
for example we can add in the appearance for a device the following code in appearance>>label
[ros_command(":put $MyVar")]
and it will be displayed in the label of your device

hope it will help

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Then I thought it would be very useful if ROS could make an SNMP oid point to global script variable so that you could schedule a script to pull any value you want. Then you could retreve the value with SNMP.
This is exactly how I do it, but insted of SNMP I do use Syslog.
Se my thread about logging and example for DHCP etc here:
viewtopic.php?t=137338

How to use Splunk to monitor your MikroTik Router

MikroTik->Splunk