Community discussions

MikroTik App

mmotti
just joined
Topic Author

Mismatch between RouterOS versions when upgrading?

Fri May 05, 2023 12:51 pm

Hi,

This has occurred a couple of times now on my RB5009 and I'm just wondering whether I'm going through the upgrade process incorrectly.

On my 7.8 install, I chose System -> Packages and Check for updates on the Stable channel. I then clicked "Download and Install" and the router rebooted.

If I open System -> RouterBOARD it shows factory firmware 7.6, current firmware 7.8 and the upgrade firmware as 7.9.

If I run `/system resource print` it shows factory firmware 7.4.1, current firmware 7.9

Which one of these is an accurate reflection of the current firmware running on my router and Is there a reason for the discrepancy? If I click "Upgrade" in the RouterBOARD window the router shows current firmware as 7.9 after reboot.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mismatch between RouterOS versions when upgrading?

Fri May 05, 2023 1:12 pm

Study the differences between BackupBOOTer, RouerBOOT and RouterOS...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mismatch between RouterOS versions when upgrading?  [SOLVED]

Fri May 05, 2023 2:32 pm

Hint:
If I open System -> RouterBOARD it shows factory firmware 7.6, current firmware 7.8 and the upgrade firmware as 7.9.

If I run `/system resource print` it shows factory firmware 7.4.1, current firmware 7.9

A PC comes with UEFI BIOS (e.g. version 0182) and it comes with Windows 10. Then you upgrade Windows 11 and upgrade UEFI to version 0185.

So which version of the above does reflect current running versions accurately? (UEFI BIOS == /system/routerboot and Windows == /system/resource or /system/packages)

BTW, routerboot firmware comes with RouterOS and after RouterOS is successfully upgraded, it's possible to upgrade routerboot -> it's shown in first quoted paragraph above and you can trigger upgrading in that UI section as well.
The factory installed versions are more or less for informational purposes (or, if you want, for esthetical purposes) ... the only real thing about that info is that it's not possible to downgrade versions below factory default.