Community discussions

MikroTik App

slan
just joined
Topic Author

Routerboard 1200 not booting after power failure

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:07 am

Hi,

Very very new to Routerboard and RouterOS so please bear with me.

I have a new Routerboard 1200. I have done some basic config on it and set ether1 to be a WAN port and ether2 to be a LAN port, I disabled the other 8 Ethernet ports for the moment. I set up a DHCP server on the LAN side, and configured DNS then setup NAT to allow masquerading and LAN clients could connect to the Internet, so far so good. I was using Winbox to configure the Routerboard connecting via it's MAC address.

Then I lost power to the Routerboard, my fault, power was off for about 5 minutes when it came back on the Routerboard looks like it had booted only it doesn't seem to be working. I know some parts of the config must be loading as only Ether1 and Ether2 are active, plugging in an RJ45 to the other ports gets no response (in LEDS anyway).
The DHCP server is no longer active and manually putting a PC onto the same IP subnet as the LAN still does not allow the interface to work. An IP scanner on the PC sees no evidence of an IP address at the one the Ether2 interface was setup to use. However the orange LEDs on the LAN and WAN ports do flash when traffic hits the port.
I have tried console access but no matter what settings I use I cannot get this to show anything, the console screen remaining completely blank.
The box starts up with the first 5 ether ports flashing the green and orange LEDs and the blue and green LED next to the console port on. Then the green LED next to the console port goes out there is a single beep then it looks like Ether1 and Ether2 initialise and there are two quick beeps. After that nothing.

I have reset the box using the internal jumper and reconfigured it. Then I purposely pulled power on the box and the same thing happened. At final install the box will be in a remote cabinet and will need to recover from a power failure automatically if one occurs.

Can anyone shed any light on what my problem could be?

Thanks in advance for your time

slan
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Routerboard 1200 not booting after power failure

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:57 pm

No one has any clues for me?

Left it long enough after reboot that it is not a disk check (tho the only "disk" is the onboard 96Mbish one) as suggested elsewhere on the forums.
A search didn't turn up any other solutions that I could find. If anyone know another thread please point it out and I will jump on it.

jhheider

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:51 pm

a) Winbox will connect via mac address. Whether or not this works might shed light on the problem.
b) While you have a working config on the router, get your serial connection running. Try /port print detail to see what the settings are.
c) If you don't get any serial output on a failed boot, I'd say RMA the unit. But I'm guessing that's just a setting issue.

slan
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi thanks for the response:

To answer your points:

A) Winbox won't connect. Does't see the Routerboard, no matter what address I set the PC Nic too. Cannot see the MAC address via arp or anything else.
B) Thought I had a dodgy serial port, but looks more likely dodgy null modem cable, so am replacing that now, will check that as soon as I have it.
C) Will keep RMA in mind if I get no serial output, once I get a known good cable.

Thanks again.

bulkmania
just joined

Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:24 am

did you find a fix ? cause i have the same problem for ~5months and no fix yet.

olekmali
just joined

Mon May 08, 2023 7:45 am

I just experienced exactly the same behavior. I found this discussion while looking for a solution. I have MikroTik hEX S (RB760iGS) purchased in 2020. So since this has been a problem for ten or more years should I purchase a higher-end router from Mikrotik? Are they free of hanging up during boot? Can you enable the watchdog service during the early boot stage and fix the problem? Thank you.