Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nivano
just joined
Topic Author

cAP ax problems

Tue May 09, 2023 1:54 pm

I just unpacked my new cAP ax and wanted to configure it and connect to my existing capsman managed wifi network. When i log into the device there is no CAP settings in Wireless menu. How do I manage this device with my capsman?

Also, I have upgraded ROS from 7.7 to 7.9 on a second cap ax, and now that cap ax does not have wlan interfaces.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: cAP ax problems

Tue May 09, 2023 2:00 pm

1) all AX devices need "wifiwave2" package, which you probably did not upload, when doing manual upgrade. I suggest using "check for updates" menu to avoid such mistakes in future

2) AX devices also have new CAPsMAN, and CAP in other menu under wireless -> Remote CAP tab.

Nivano
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2023 5:09 pm

Just to make sure that I got things correctly: I cannot provision cap ax devices from "old capsman" and I cannot provision cap ac from wifiwave2 capsman? Can cap ax use standard wireless package insted of wifiwave2? Is it possible to add cap ax to an existing wifi network that is running on capsman with a lot of cap ac devices?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 09, 2023 8:21 pm

In order of asking
- correct
- correct
- no it can not. Only wifiwave2 drivers.
- yes but not using old capsman.

dksoft
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 09, 2023 9:24 pm

Is it possible to add cap ax to an existing wifi network that is running on capsman with a lot of cap ac devices?
- yes but not using old capsman.
How can you handle a CAP AC device with the "new" CAPsMAN, e.g. the wifiwave2 based one?
My understanding is that wifiwave2 package is needed on CAPsMAN client and CAP AC is not supported.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 09, 2023 9:28 pm

Second capsman controller.
Easy, no ?

No. But really. You will need a second controller if you want the AX cap to be capsman controlled as well.
Until, someday maybe, they integrate the two into one.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 11, 2023 12:12 am

I just unpacked my new cAP ax and wanted to configure it and connect to my existing capsman managed wifi network. When i log into the device there is no CAP settings in Wireless menu. How do I manage this device with my capsman?

Also, I have upgraded ROS from 7.7 to 7.9 on a second cap ax, and now that cap ax does not have wlan interfaces.
Sounds like the perfect time to replace all your old access points!