Community discussions

MikroTik App

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

split-horizion vs bridge forward drop all?

Wed May 10, 2023 8:42 pm

Sooo..

using v7.10beta5..

Have a VPLS group (around 13 VPLS endpoints) terminating into one br. They all have split-horizon on them, but yet i keep getting loop detected. So, I added a bridge filter rule chain=forward in-birdge=br action=drop; this should DROP all packets being forwarded though the bridge. This is on a 2004 so its all software, but I am getting hundreds of thousands of packets hitting this drop rule.

I would normally state that the spit-horizon should be JUST like adding the drop rule, but faster, (at least in hardware, if it had hardware), but in this case, nadda. Adding the bridge filter rules does take the bridge out of fast-path; but my assumption is that this is not needed as I DO NOT wish to forward anything across the bridge. I keep getting these forwarded packets... So,, what is the difference between split-horizon and the rule that I created when i wish to isolate all of the VPLS to themselves but share the same IP space?

Fernald
just joined

Re: split-horizion vs bridge forward drop all?

Fri May 12, 2023 8:12 am

Split-horizon prevents a packet on one side of the bridge from being forwarded to the other side, while the bridge filter rule drops all the packets attempting to be forwarded through the bridge. Both of these will help isolate the VPLS endpoints, but bridge filtering provides more control over traffic that passes through the bridge.