MikroTik App

josser
just joined
Topic Author

UNII-4 channels priority after 7.8

Mon May 08, 2023 1:10 am

Hi!
So, in 7.8 we got support for new UNII-4 channels - channel 165+ / 5850Mhz+

But looks like it bring more problems than profits.

My Hap ax^2 automatically switched to 165 (5850) channel, and as I don't have any devices which can support those channels, I'm just lost 5Ghz radio.

Support for this new channels on client devices will happens not today, and not tomorrow, so why ax2 is targeting this channels?

I imagine how many problems this may bring to users which (being not lucky) have one or two appropriate devices with UNII-4 support while having most of other devices not supported.
They will tear their hair out trying to figure out why only few divices are working and others not.

I've managed to solve this by manually limiting frequency to 2300-5840 for this interface, but isn't it should be default?
So, those who are ready for new upper channels can explicitly enable them?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: UNII-4 channels priority after 7.8

Thu May 11, 2023 10:21 pm

I understand your point but the setup of your device remains your responsibility.
Mikrotik equipment is very different from other consumer material which can be found.
There is a lot more possible but also a lot more you need to take into account.

Just like setting 2Ghz to n only is not always a wise choice for all client devices.
If you do that, don't be surprised some older device can not connect (rare but they are still out there. Luckily not at my place :lol: )

Future usage the bands are available. I don't have any equipment either which can use it on my AX3. So I don't set it.

PS setting frequency to auto is considered bad practice.
Scan your environment, then set the frequency for the least interference.

sirbryan

Thu May 11, 2023 10:24 pm

Tell that to the average home user who buys an AX2.

I think a good default (for the next year or so) would be to leave UNII-4 out of the "auto" or default config mix.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 11, 2023 10:32 pm

I don't get it ... first everyone is screaming there is no wifi-6 support, now it is available and then there is again protest because frequencies are available for which there are not enough client devices...
:lol:

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 11, 2023 10:43 pm

Just noticed ... if you set "skip-dfs-channels=all" for most countries it should stick to UNII-1 and partly 2 (hence avoiding most of the range of UNII-2).
But default (on AX3) seems to be 10-minute-CAC. So UNII-3 and 4 go "under the radar".

josser
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2023 10:13 am

I understand your point but the setup of your device remains your responsibility.
I don't get it ... first everyone is screaming there is no wifi-6 support, now it is available and then there is again protest because frequencies are available for which there are not enough client devices...
:lol:
I think it's about reasonable defaults, not about setup
I.e hide-ssid is off by default because it's more appropriate for most users.
Here is the same logic, default have to make most users happy.

Just noticed ... if you set "skip-dfs-channels=all" for most countries it should stick to UNII-1 and partly 2 (hence avoiding most of the range of UNII-2).
But default (on AX3) seems to be 10-minute-CAC. So UNII-3 and 4 go "under the radar".
Hm, I have "skip-dfs-channels=all" but this doesn't help. And looks like it shouldn't help :)
As I understand UNII-4 is not DFS and this is the reason why my ax2 is switching to it