Community discussions

MikroTik App

os7een
just joined
Topic Author

IPTV and IGMP proxy

Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi guys,
I have a similar IPTV setup like on the provided image, but I can't configure it to work as it should.

On the switch I have enabled IGMP snooping, and on the RouterOS I have configured IGMP proxy.

When the stream starts, it all works fine, but after a few minutes the stream freezes as it can't detect that any more hosts are watching the stream. I guess it has to do something with the IGMP Querier not working properly.

My question is, how can I properly configure the IGMP proxy / querier so the stream never freezes until the last host watching it doesn't exit that particular multicast group.

Thanks a lot,
os7een

os7een
just joined
Topic Author

Re: IPTV and IGMP proxy

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi all,

I have searched the forum a bit, and I found this topic[0] that perfectly describes my problem.
I went and directly connected the hosts to the router like mentioned in the topic, but the stream freezes anyway after a few minutes of playing.

Even if I set it statically under MFC in the IGMP proxy on the router, the stream also freezes after the same amount of time.
Changing the duration of the query interval to different values doesn't do the trick.

As I said in the first post, on the switch I have only configured the IGMP snooping as it's not implemented in the RouterOS yet, but the querier and immediate-leave are disabled on the switch, and I would like to enable / implement them on the router rather than on the switch if possible.

Thanks,
os7een

[0] http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=39064

ladlasheikh
just joined

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:11 pm

it all works fine, but after a few minutes the stream freezes ?

tihovsky

Sat May 13, 2023 10:18 pm

To what I can understand from theory, activate IGMP spoofing on the router LAN interface bridge, with Multicast Querier also activated on the router.
Also activate IGMP spoofing on the switch and "Fast Leave" on all related ports:
1. On switch port towards IPTV
2. On router port to which you connect the switch and
4. On the switch uplink port towards the router

I got some IPTV stuff working that way, not sure if optimal yet, but the difference of my use case is that multicast streams didn't came from WAN side,
but instead from LAN side so I didn't need to use IGMP proxy.

If the multicast stream disconnects after a threshold defined in the querier settings ~4 min. you might have a device not registring (or re-registring) for a multicast stream reception within periods defined on querier.
Also check if it works properly, ie. if streams are fed to every port as broadcasts as this happens if querier is not online or multicast is properly fed only to the IPTV (bandwidth on interface or torch).
You can also check Bridge MDB for a list of registered multicast streams.

All above are based on theory and minimal success I had so far with these running on Mikrotik, so apologies if I misinformed about something.

Also note I read something that Mikrotik Multicast querier doesn't support VLANs so I would guess it only works through native VLAN and bridge without VLAN filtering.
I need more info on this and not sure if it applies to your use case, so will try to open a separate topic for this.