Community discussions

MikroTik App

tihovsky
Topic Author

IPTV and other multicast streams

Sat May 13, 2023 11:29 pm

We are using IPTV from 3 different sources on LAN, some music and microphone sources etc. in one implementation so I have 3 different VLANs that need to transport multicast.
Right now I have some strange issues with occasional 15 sec. breaks in sound and broadcasting instead of multicasting traffic.

I went through this info:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/pages/vi ... nwithVLANs
and read through IGMP snooping configuration with VLANs
so I am wondering about this limitation notice on the page:
"Bridge IGMP querier implementation can only send untagged IGMP queries. In case tagged IGMP queries should be sent or IGMP queries should be generated in multiple VLANs, it is possible to install a multicast package, add a VLAN interface and configure a PIM interface on VLAN. The PIM interface can be used as an IGMP querier."

So does it mean that IGMP proxy would not be able to direct multicast towards PC2 on the second bridge (in VLAN20 which is tagged on both sfpplus1 interfaces?
Like in case PC2 would need to receive some multicast sent by multicast server into VLAN 20?

I believe I have such a situation, so how to circumvent it in Mikrotik?
Would IGMP proxy or PIM-SM be required or I can still somehow get around with IGMP snooping & multicast querier?
PIM interface is mentioned "add a VLAN interface and configure a PIM interface on VLAN.", but on 7.8 PIM SM was a bit changed.

Thanks!