Community discussions

MikroTik App

RackKing
Topic Author

5G LTE compatibility help requested.

Mon May 08, 2023 9:37 pm

I have need of a 5G LTE connection to AT&T in the US. I am experienced with Mikrotik routing and wireless but have never worked or utilized and LTE connectivity for primary or failover connectivity.
  • Is the wAP ac LTE6 kit compatible in the US? I believe it is using band n260 at 39GHz, but I am not sure how the directly correlates to the specifications sheet.
  • Alternatively - does anyone have recommendation for a USB modem that is compatible with hAPs, 4011, etc... models?
Thanks in advance for any help and education. Sorry for my layman questions.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 5G LTE compatibility help requested.

Sun May 14, 2023 3:51 pm

I'm also waiting for more flexible solutions and yes, specially outdoor solutions. For now only we have Chateau 5G.

For 39Ghz none of the actual Mikrotik devices will be compatible. Needs more CPU power maybe and another antenna structure for these frecuency.

Regards

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 5G LTE compatibility help requested.

Sun May 14, 2023 5:37 pm

Technically, any of the Mikrotik modems will "work" with AT&T in US (but not necessarily Verizon/Tmobile). None have full support for all of LTE/5G bands.

So the wAP-LTE6 will come up with an AT&T SIM but be limited to band 12 (700Mhz) and 2 (1900Mhz) – these are the two most common but only overlap with R11e-LTE6 modem support. And the Chateau LTE6-US uses a different modem (Quectel EP06-A), so adds band 66. Both support some modes of carrier aggregation.

But @krafg suggests, all the LTE offerings are limited WRT 5G, especially in US.