Community discussions

MikroTik App

NikEWH
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac lite Stopped Working... DHCP/DNS Problems?

Wed May 17, 2023 11:27 pm

Hi everyone,

Here is my tale of woe.
Pretext:
I've been using an hAP ac lite on my home network for years now without any issues. I also have a piHole acting as its own DHCP server and running Unbound (recursive DNS resolver). I'd noticed my page loading speeds were slow the last few weeks and while troubleshooting that in the piHole settings I ran the command to restart the DNS resolver. After that, I could not access the internet at all. I disabled the PiHole completely and enabled the DHCP server on my Mikrotik router. Still no luck.

Coincidentally, unbeknownst to me around that exact time I restarted my DNS service in piHole, my ISP reported a massive outage. So maybe that contributed to the issue and it was an illusion that I broke something. But the outage has been fully resolved now.

Problem:
Out of growing frustration I thought ok, I'll set the piHole aside, and factory reset my Mikrotik router. Rebuild the home network from square one. I connect the mikrotik's first ethernet port to my modem with an ethernet cable, factory reset, log in to the Mikrotik admin panel via the default open wifi network and everything looks normal. However, even with the default configuration, it won't connect to the internet. The DHCP client is stuck with the status "searching".

What I've tried
  • Verified physical cable connections are not coming loose
  • Ran
    set ip dns servers = 8.8.8.8 allow-remote-requests = yes
    and then pinged 8.8.8.8, it still says "no route to host."
  • Ran
    /ip route add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=<gateway IP address provided by my ISP>
    , no change
  • Disabled all default firewall rules in RouterOS, no change.
  • Power cycled all devices
I know that my ISP is providing internet access without issue because if I plug my computer directly into the modem with an ethernet cable, it works normally.

I also tried following the instructions on this page: wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Initial_Configuration
But that pages says I need to know from my ISP an "IP address you can use" and "Network mask for the IP address". I don't know what those are (I do know the default gateway IP address), and have sent an email to my ISP asking about that.

But meanwhile, any ideas on what else I can try or what the problem is in the first place? In the past, the MikroTik router worked right away with its factory default settings, so I am very confused as to why there is an issue now.

Thanks!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac lite Stopped Working... DHCP/DNS Problems?

Thu May 18, 2023 9:09 pm

Full config please (minus router serial number and any public WANIP info)