mac86
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

WinBox and "show columns" feature

Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi,

I'm testing new routerOs 3.0rc6 and I've noticied new "show columns" feature
on WinBox (and I think this was a very good addon on WinBox !)

How ever, when I exit from my winBox, I lost selected columns, and I must
to select my "show columns" again and again, every time I log out from WinBox.

There is a solution for it ?

Thank you very much.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: WinBox and "show columns" feature

Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:29 pm

check if you by accident have not checked - so, winbox does not save settings (open windows etc) when you close the session. Other ways everything should be restored when you reopen winbox on that router you made changes

mac86
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi!

when you say "Other ways", do you mean close winbox with "X" icon (close window icon upper right) ?

thank you

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:21 am

no, he meant - "please check if other winbox settings are saved, like window locations"

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:32 am

Hi,

while this thread is rather old, I have to report that the issue was not resolved and is pretty much denerving. I wonder if anyone else is not able to observe this behavior? I use loader 2.2.13 and I connect to our main router OS version 3.7. When I open queues, it opens window with following columns - #, empty column, Name, Target Adress, Rx Max Limit, Tx Max Limit, Packet Marks, empty columns.

So, first thing is - there are at least three useless columns in there - two empty, and packet mark - not needed that much here imo. So now I go to Show Columns menu section, and I remove Packet Marks columns, and add Rx Avg.Rate and Tx Avg.Rate ones. Two empty columns are stil in there ...

Now my observations:
1) When I close the window (queue one), and reopen it, everything is OK ...
2) When I close the session and reopen it, everything is OK, windows are at correct positions ...
3) When I close the queue window, exit the session and return back, invoke queue window, my selected columns are lost ...

We have more admins, and sometimes simply someone closes the queue window and exits the session. It is a bit annoyning to reset columns I am interested in each time it happens ...

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

PS: on the loader screen I have checked "Load Previous session", so dunno what else I could to help our situation ...

cheers,
-pekr-

jcremin

Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:54 am

I agree that it is annoying to have to re-select all the columns you want shown. happens to me all the time too.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:19 am

I just tested and it works as it should. Deselected some columns, clicked on EXIT, then loaded again with "Load Previous Session" checkbox, and they were as I left them. Tried also exiting with "X" and still columns were in the order I left them.

jcremin

Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:27 am

you're missing a critical step. close the window inside of winbox which you selected custom columns, THEN exit winbox. Now re-open winbox, open the window that you set the columns in and see if it's the way you set it before.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:34 pm

still works

npero

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:56 pm

Same thing.
Open WinBox open bridge select column MTU close bridge window close WinBox, then again start Winbox open bridge window MTU not selected.
Tested couple times.
Best regards...

jcremin

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:08 pm

still doesn't work

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:35 pm

you sure that you have the latest winbox loader from 3.7, that RouterOS is 3.7 and that you cleared the cache and all winbox files?

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:34 pm

I downloaded winbox loader from 3.7 router directly and it is the same as at your mt.com download section. Then I located Mikrotik directory in my user profile, deleted 3.7 dir and even winbox.cfg and let it redownload stuff once again. Still no change.

However, when I visually inspect config file (btw - why binary nowadays :-), I can't see load-previous-session parameter being saved? Is it in there? I can see only secure-mode, keep-pwd attributes in there. And also - where is such session data stored anaway? I mean - placement of windows, column configs, etc? Isn't it stored on the server directly?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 06, 2008 2:27 pm

you have to check that box exclusively, so previous session is loaded. Otherwise it will go default path and save no settings what so ever.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 07, 2008 3:12 pm

I tried this new Winbox with 2.9.46 router and it won't work. It reports error: Could not get index: fatal error!

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 09, 2008 3:47 pm

please read normis post where it says something like that: Latest Winbox from 3.7 routeros and 3.7 RouterOS installed on the router. o rin next step you wil be asking other features from 3.x version in 2.9.x version?

hulk-bd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 13, 2008 10:01 pm

normis, the winbox save setting is not works all the time, some time it saves all the checked columns and some time it's not and I'm sure about it but don't know why!

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 am

as far as we have tested windox save settings (load previous session) it works without any problems.

so, install routeros 3.9
on clean system download winbox.exe and run it. there should be no problems with this feature.

i myself is using winbox through wine on ubuntu hardy heron without any problems.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 21, 2008 9:33 am

please read normis post where it says something like that: Latest Winbox from 3.7 routeros and 3.7 RouterOS installed on the router. o rin next step you will be asking other features from 3.x version in 2.9.x version?
I am not asking that, I just pointed out that latest Winbox does not work at all with older MT's. That is serious problem as it is certain that one would not go to latest MT just like that, especially if has large and complex network.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 21, 2008 10:08 am

please read normis post where it says something like that: Latest Winbox from 3.7 routeros and 3.7 RouterOS installed on the router. o rin next step you will be asking other features from 3.x version in 2.9.x version?
I am not asking that, I just pointed out that latest Winbox does not work at all with older MT's. That is serious problem as it is certain that one would not go to latest MT just like that, especially if has large and complex network.
this has not been proved true. please clarify what exact version didn't work.

we use latest version of winbox to manage all of our network devices, many of which are older ones.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 22, 2008 9:05 pm

I tried from three different computers, to access three different MT's. MT is version 2.9.46, Winbox is version 2.2.13. In all cases I get error:

Could not get index: fatal error!

Older Winbox I use works fine.

kevin@safelink.net
just joined

Fri May 23, 2008 10:50 pm

I would delete the winbox.exe and redownload it. I have had no problems accessing any version of RouterOS with any version of winbox.

-Kevin

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 24, 2008 4:46 am

As I said, i tried on three different computers...

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 24, 2008 5:15 am

I tried from three different computers, to access three different MT's. MT is version 2.9.46, Winbox is version 2.2.13. In all cases I get error:

Could not get index: fatal error!

Older Winbox I use works fine.
what are you entering in WinBox to connect to? Something with IP.IP.IP.IP:PORT ? Newer winbox uses :port finally whereas previous versions would allow it, but ignore it... so possibly the hostname is incorrect now using new winbox.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:40 am

Yes, I do use port to access Mikrotik.

What this means, in new Winbox it is not possible to access MT by specifying port number?

boyke
just joined

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:30 am

Dear all,

I have this problem too (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24329)(no one reply :( ), today i try to use winbox looder ver 2.2.13, and when i want to exit from winbox, i use (exit - winbox toolbar), not using X, from windows-box, and supprise-me, i don't have this problem anymore (on this PC), I will try later from my lovely laptop (i hope this problem can solve too) :D

jcremin

Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:26 pm

how did this turn from a "winbox is not remembering column selections" to "i can't connect with winbox"???? Please start a new thread instead of hijacking other's threads.

Znuff
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:22 am

This issue's been here for ages. I even made a ticket about it and got assured that it will get fixed. Guess what? It didn't.

I've specifically told you guys that if you log out for more than aproximatelly one hour, you lose your session. You lose selected collumns and such. If you log out and log back in, there's no problem.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 am

I was having the same issue with my "Show inline comments" and "Show Columns" settings being forgotten each time I closed Winbox so I did some testing to see exactly when it occurred, results are:

OS Windows 7
Winbox Ver Latest (one with new blue icon)
RouterOS 4.4 on RB600

Change Column View, Inline comments, Close WinBox with upper X - Settings not saved
Change Column View, Inline comments, Close inner window with X, Close WinBox with upper X - Settings not saved
Change Column View, Inline comments, Close WinBox with Exit menu item - Settings saved and restored
Change Column View, Inline comments, Close inner window with X, Close WinBox with Exit menu item - Settings saved and restored

So, when you use Exit from the WinBox menu it does indeed save your "view" settings, however the X box in the top right always seems to blank these settings.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:00 pm

oh well, on Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) launching it through wine, i can just close Winbox with usual close and settings are saved. opened/closed window, what columns are/are not showed. That is, i opened same router, not other routers in the middle

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi Janis,

Strangely enough, it works perfectly now no matter how I close the application. I suspect there must have been some settings cached locally that were overwritten when using the "exit" button.

Also, on Windows 7 I have been unable to locate the location that Winbox stores files, can you post this ?

Thanks,

Andrew

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:16 pm

there must have been some other router you connected to what had other settings set. (different version etc.) as result, something got corrupted and winbox fell back to default.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm

I had the same problem. After I upgraded from 2.9.51 to 3.30, Winbox simply stopped saving interface configuration at all. Windows sizes and positions, columns ... nothing was saved.

Then I once opened Winbox and connected with UNCHECKED "load previous session". Winbox reset to default windows size and position, and after that it started saving sessions so next load did show saved windows positions, sizes and columns.

I use Winbox 2.2.15 and MT 3.30.

Maybe this info would help finding a bug.

Rasanga
just joined

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 am

I had the same problem, but I resolved it in this way....

1.) Create a user.
2.) When apply permissions to the user, assign the user to a group that hasn't web access ( uncheck the web access in selected 'group' ).
3.) Then try to load the previous session by created user. ( do several times)
4.) You can see winbox can't load the previous session.
5.) Now assign the user to a new group that has web access.
6.) Try to load the previous session by created user. ( do several times)

I think 'web access' permission define the ability of 'load previous session'

HexaPro
just joined

Wed May 09, 2018 4:55 am

Hi, I think I found the problem. First you need to uncheck the "Load Previous Session" then try to login, you will have all windows closed once you login. Now close the WinBox then check the "Load Previous Session" again then login, open the window you want to setup and set the size, position and tab then close it and close WinBox. By the time you login again you can try to re-open the previous window you've setup and the size, position and tab will return to the last state when you close them.

LameckMarques
just joined

Fri May 19, 2023 3:13 am

Eu consigo puxar as configurações das Colunas do NAT?