Community discussions

MikroTik App

Tanquen
just joined
Topic Author

First network file copy often fails with 0k file and no error messages.

Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:55 pm

This may just be a Windows 10 and or Synology issue but I got the MikroTik CRS305 at the same time as the new NAS and never had a 10Gbe network. I'm checking with Synology but thought I'd ask here and see if the issue sounded familiar.

After updating to a new DS1821 I often get failed file transfers. I notice it when copying to the NAS. I do not think it has ever been an issue when reading from the NAS to the PC but for the most part I do not copy files from the NAS only read them after being copied there. It's random so it hard to get a handle on but never had this issue with the old NAS and the 1Gbe network.

I see the issue when using windows File Explorer and third party applications that are copying to the NAS. Again there is no error message or and indication that something is wrong until later when I try and use the file. I'll get an error that the file is not readable or corrupted and when I look at the file it's 0 in size.

Sometimes when using the windows File Explorer I'll get the file copy popup and is will get stuck saying calculating. Then it will just stop and the file will be there and be ok as far as I can tell. Other times after calculating for some time, it will stop and say that it can not copy the file as it is already there. When I look there will be a newly created 0 size file there.

Been doing the same kind of work flow for years and my old DS1813 & 1Gbe network and never had this issue. :(

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: First network file copy often fails with 0k file and no error messages.

Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:30 am

I am no Synology-Expert....
If i had the Problem i would,

- Connect PC directly to NAS-Server (to see if Mikrotik is to blame)
- Check for "Special" Characters (ä,ö,ü %, §,*,°,^ è )
everywhere from share-name, NAS-Name, Login, etc..
- make sure NAS-Server NAME and IP are unique
- Only have 1x connection to Network and only 1 IP
- Check NAS-Configuration and temporary disable Cache

Tanquen
just joined
Topic Author

Re: First network file copy often fails with 0k file and no error messages.

Fri May 19, 2023 4:56 am

I got a new setup a few months ago and I saw that the Ethernet connection was dropping every few seconds after adding a new additional SFP module to the switch. I then started thinking about power draw and the fact that I was using POE. I now use the supplied power transformers and I've not had anymore of these issues.. So far... :)