MikroTik App

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

List of supported wifi modules

Thu May 11, 2023 11:14 pm

HI.
There is a list of compatible modems and SFP modules for Mikrotik. Here it is: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Peripherals
But I can't find a similar list for wifi modules. I understand that Wi-Fi modules intel will not be compatible. But the rest? Particularly interested in modules with Bluetooth 5.

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: List of supported wifi modules

Tue May 16, 2023 1:51 pm

At the moment, after reading numerous forum threads and other sources, I have come to understand that it is possible to unpack a firmware image using an archiver tool and explore the "wireless" directory. In that directory, there is a small list of modules: AR5211, AR5212, AR5416, AR9300, AR9888, QCA9888, QCA9984, WIL6210, which are likely to be supported, but I'm not entirely certain. All of them are based on Atheros and Qualcomm chips. There may be other models that could potentially work on MikroTik devices. I hope there are modules with Bluetooth support as well. This would be beneficial for those involved in IoT. Here is an example of how a module is identified in devices, although it may not appear in the interfaces, even if it is based on Atheros and Qualcomm chips.

Perhaps someone has experience connecting and working with specific Wi-Fi modules, so I kindly request them to share their experiences regarding the connection and configuration. If MikroTik's technical support team is reading these comments, I hope they take notice that it turns out my topic is not the only one where the question of compatible Wi-Fi modules is raised. Either they can expand the list or broaden their range of Wi-Fi modules.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 16, 2023 6:48 pm

Yes, ONLY chipsets with specific drivers (ie AR5211, AR5212, AR5416, AR9300, AR9888, QCA9888, QCA9984, WIL6210) have chance to work. No other will be recognized at all like you show on your screenshot, even if it's similar family or generation. Devices listed in PCI resources are just that: list of PCI devices. It only shows card was recognized and it's correctly plugged in, but there is no driver for it. Same would happen if you plugged in GPU or HBA card using riser, it would appear in PCI devices list, but otherwise not do anything.
But even when using wlan card that have supported chipset doesn't mean it will work. Difference in eeprom might be the cause or some vendor customization of tx/rx chains. Dumping eeprom from Mikrotik card and using it in the same chipset oem card might work... or not.

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 9:24 pm

Yes, ONLY chipsets with specific drivers (ie AR5211, AR5212, AR5416, AR9300, AR9888, QCA9888, QCA9984, WIL6210) have chance to work. No other will be recognized at all like you show on your screenshot, even if it's similar family or generation. Devices listed in PCI resources are just that: list of PCI devices. It only shows card was recognized and it's correctly plugged in, but there is no driver for it. Same would happen if you plugged in GPU or HBA card using riser, it would appear in PCI devices list, but otherwise not do anything.
But even when using wlan card that have supported chipset doesn't mean it will work. Difference in eeprom might be the cause or some vendor customization of tx/rx chains. Dumping eeprom from Mikrotik card and using it in the same chipset oem card might work... or not.
It's very unfortunate and, in my opinion, not right on the part of MikroTik. Since I've purchased multiple MikroTik boards, I will try to use them and find the Wi-Fi modules that work properly. However, overall, I will be forced to stop working with MikroTik and explore alternatives because even though MikroTik claims to support IoT, it is implemented poorly and lacks flexibility.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Tue May 16, 2023 10:00 pm

I've used a lot of adapters based on AR93XX, AR98XX and they all worked correctly! Example:

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 11:35 pm

I've used a lot of adapters based on AR93XX, AR98XX and they all worked correctly! Example:
That's good to hear, it's pleasing. I see one module. It seems to be the Compex WLE900VX. It has three antennas. Do I need to connect all three antennas at once? Does it have Bluetooth capability?
I cannot identify the second module. Could you provide its model, and I can assist you with the same questions regarding antennas and Bluetooth capability?

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2023 11:39 pm

Can the first module be used with only two sector antennas?

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 17, 2023 1:22 am

yes, of course. You can turn off chains in advanced options, can even assign different ones for TX/RX...

As for bluetooth, completely forget about it ever working in ROS, it's not going to happen. Only possibility is if USB pass-trough ever makes it into containers subsystem, it might be possible to run bluez in a container or other USB bluetooth stack...

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2023 11:23 am

yes, of course. You can turn off chains in advanced options, can even assign different ones for TX/RX...
This is you about my question, can the module be used with two sector antennas?

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2023 11:28 am

As for bluetooth, completely forget about it ever working in ROS, it's not going to happen. Only possibility is if USB pass-trough ever makes it into containers subsystem, it might be possible to run bluez in a container or other USB bluetooth stack...
But KNOT can work with bluetooth.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Wed May 17, 2023 1:24 pm

This is you about my question, can the module be used with two sector antennas?
Why not ? Just use the necessary antenna pigtails!

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 17, 2023 1:57 pm

Is there any difference in which connectors to connect pigtails for sector antennas?

JohnTRIVOLTA

Wed May 17, 2023 2:14 pm

Is there any difference in which connectors to connect pigtails for sector antennas?
At one end, the connectors are like those for the wifi card, and at the other end, they are like those for the sector antenna cables.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed May 17, 2023 4:16 pm

But KNOT can work with bluetooth.
Bluetooth in KNOT is part of the used Qualcomm CPU, it's internal to the platform, not external USB module. So the driver will not work with anything other than that one specific SoC.

As for antennas, you can have two sectors connected to two chains, but if they don't overlap at all, you will lose 2x2 speeds. But that may still be fine, especially if you have just 1x1 clients.
In one of my setups I have AP in one room with small antenna on chain 1 and use old CATV cable that was there to get chain 2 antenna into other room where is another small wire antenna.
It works great even when signal difference between chains in the rooms is >70dB (thick concrete walls with rebar) and saved me cost of another AP + LAN wiring.

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 18, 2023 12:33 pm

At one end, the connectors are like those for the wifi card, and at the other end, they are like those for the sector antenna cables.
No, I meant the connectors on the Wi-Fi module. The module has three connectors (CH0, CH1, CH2). Is there any difference in which of these connectors to use when connecting two sector antennas, assuming the antennas are SISO (Single Input, Single Output)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 18, 2023 2:46 pm

Have you tried working with just one AR98XX module? I purchased one myself, similar to your Compex WLE900VX. I can't figure out how to configure both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands to work on this single module.
In the interface, only one Wi-Fi module is visible. In the wireless settings, there is no option for simultaneous operation of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and it is unclear if there is a way to configure them together.
Currently, only two such antennas are connected; the sector antennas haven't been included yet.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Thu May 18, 2023 2:59 pm

I don't know of a wireless/radio module that works on both frequencies at the same time!

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 18, 2023 7:59 pm

I can't figure out how to configure both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands to work on this single module.
Are you completely new to Mikrotik? It sounds like you have no idea how things even work. Time to RTFM, maybe watch some videos on how to configure and work with WISP hardware, otherwise you will keep asking stupid questions like this...

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2023 3:21 pm

Are you completely new to Mikrotik? It sounds like you have no idea how things even work. Time to RTFM, maybe watch some videos on how to configure and work with WISP hardware, otherwise you will keep asking stupid questions like this...
Yes, I'm a complete beginner in MikroTik. I mentioned that in several of my posts. And the question is not about configuring simultaneous operation of two modules on MikroTik, where one operates at 2.4GHz and the other at 5GHz. The question is about configuring a single module to operate simultaneously in both frequency ranges. Specifically, I'm interested in configuring the Compex WLE900VX module. I would appreciate it if you could provide a link for such instructions. I'm specifically interested in the simultaneous operation of both frequency bands on a single module. I've figured out how to configure two modules to work in different frequency bands.
However, some claim that such modules do not exist. Although several sellers who deal with these modules claim the opposite, they do not provide any instructions.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri May 19, 2023 6:53 pm

The question is about configuring a single module to operate simultaneously in both frequency ranges.
That's not possible, all supported chipsets can only server single WIFI channel. Yes, the modules supports both 2.4 and 5GHz bands, but there is just one local oscillator that can run on one or the other frequency band, meaning this card can either run as 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but never both at the same time.I know there were some hybrid miniPCIe modules that had double the radio chipsets and parts, but they used completely incompatible chipsets and thus would never not work in ROS.
If you need to create AP with both bands, you have to use multiple radio cards (just like JohnTRIVOLTA shown on his photo), there is no other way around that.

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2023 8:27 pm

If you need to create AP with both bands, you have to use multiple radio cards (just like JohnTRIVOLTA shown on his photo), there is no other way around that.
I have exactly the same RBM33G board. And exactly the same wifi module. Namely Compex WLE900VX. And the sellers assured me that this module can simultaneously work in two ranges. Unfortunately at the moment I was thinking of using the second slot on the board for the modem. But it looks like another solution will have to be found. There is another problem. I don't know how JohnTRIVOLTA has a signal, but I have a very weak signal on this module. True, I connected simple antennas, not sector ones yet, just for testing. But the signal strength is weaker than on any neighboring router.

ahteran

Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:17 pm

I am trying to use compex WLE650V5-25 (Qualcomm Atheros QCA9888) on RB800 (ROS 7.10 and Firmware same), but RB800 does not see wifi module, what could be the problem?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:20 pm

You have installed the wifiwave2 package?

ahteran

Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:37 pm

You have installed the wifiwave2 package?
No, my friend, I did not install it. can you give me the link please

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:42 pm

ahteran

Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:12 pm

The card unfortunately seems not to be recognized due to its driver.

atari
just joined

Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:16 am

Why there is no x86 drivers for wave2?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:51 am

Why there is no x86 drivers for wave2?
(since you don't know where to look for it?)

What a habit it is not to specify what device you're talking about...

Have you tried the module on another microtik board with installed separate wifiwave2 package?