Community discussions

MikroTik App

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RBM33G and usb Wi-Fi

Sun May 14, 2023 4:28 pm

Hello. Can MT work with wifi module connected to usb port?
I tried to connect the one that I have available. He was seen in yusb devices, correctly identified his model (Ralink). It also showed up in the port lists. But here it is red. And if you click on it, then in the details window it says that it is invalid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Re: RBM33G and usb Wi-Fi

Sun May 14, 2023 9:10 pm

No. Мikrotik stopped supporting the usb wifi adapter with the 6th version of ROS . Also only atheros based adapters were supported!

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2023 12:14 pm

No. Мikrotik stopped supporting the usb wifi adapter with the 6th version of ROS . Also only atheros based adapters were supported!
Do you know why they stopped supporting USB Wi-Fi?
And does it mean that if I find a USB Wi-Fi with an Atheros chip, it will work on MikroTik?

DyadyaGenya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2023 12:25 pm

And also, can you suggest after which specific version the support for USB Wi-Fi was discontinued? The thing is, I'm trying to unpack an NPK firmware image. It has a directory called "bndl/wireless" where the Wi-Fi module drivers are presumably located. But I don't see a directory for USB. However, USB modems work without any issues. So there must be drivers somewhere for them. I would like to understand where they are and if it's possible to extract them from an older version into a newer one.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 15, 2023 5:49 pm

It was long long time ago, maybe 5.25 or similar super old version, maybe just beta. It was quickly removed because it only supported one specific Atheros chipset that was pretty much obsolete anyway. And that version will simply NOT run on RBM33G anyway. So just forget about using USB for WIFI, it's never going to work, one way or the other.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Mon May 15, 2023 6:11 pm

Do you know why they stopped supporting USB Wi-Fi?
And does it mean that if I find a USB Wi-Fi with an Atheros chip, it will work on MikroTik?
I don't know why Mikrotik decided that way!
And also, can you suggest after which specific version the support for USB Wi-Fi was discontinued? The thing is, I'm trying to unpack an NPK firmware image. It has a directory called "bndl/wireless" where the Wi-Fi module drivers are presumably located. But I don't see a directory for USB. However, USB modems work without any issues. So there must be drivers somewhere for them. I would like to understand where they are and if it's possible to extract them from an older version into a newer one.
I think the last one was on v5.26 . I also think that what you want to do is not possible ... then everyone would build their own ROS versions, but no one stops us from trying :)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 19, 2023 9:44 pm

a USB-Wifi adaptor is not necessary a serial (UART) adaptor, like the Woobm.
Woobm does work as serial/console adaptor via wifi.

The checked port list in Winbox screenshot is for serial connections over USB. Converting between USB and serial TTL/RS232/FTDI console connection.
Woobm gives wifi access to that serial port.

A USB-wifi adaptor gives a wifi connection via USB. (like USB thetering with a smartphone). Often called wifi-stick or wifi-dongle
No idea if ROS supports this, but if it does it should appear as a (wireless) interface. Not expected to happen