Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jojolejobar
just joined
Topic Author

Router or router and switch

Sun May 21, 2023 10:21 am

Hello,

The question has probably been addressed several times but I don't find any satisfying answers to my questions, so I'm asking here.

I currently use the router from my ISP to connect to the fiber (400Mbps symetric), and I would like to get rid of it and change to mikrotik product to get full control of my network.
Maybe in the next months I will change my subscription to get 2Gbps down, 800Mbps up.

I would like to find products that match my needs:
* A SFP cage for fiber WAN (which need to be VLANed)
* Management of VLAN (to separate personal devices, IOT, guest network...)
* Some basic firewall rules (to protect the WAN, maybe IP blacklist from FireHOL)
* VPN to access my home network from outside (probably wireguard or IPsec)
* It would be nice if it as PoE.
* It would be nice if I can have an backup connection using an LTE modem (USB/PCIe..)

I have about 10 devices that can be connect via Ethernet, the rest use WiFi (probably using an AP from Mikrotik, I have a small appartment).

After looking on product page, I have found:
* CCR2004-16G-2S+ or CCR2004-16G-2S+PC, but I think the second one is missing an USB port so I'm dead if I want to setup a backup WAN from LTE. Also I don't know if the first one is really noisy or not.
* RB5009UG+S+IN with CRS328-24P-4S+RM. I think for this combination the fiber from ISP would be connect to the switch and the second SFP cage to the router, is it good ? Can I power using PoE-in the router with the switch ?

What's perform the best and what it is the best for the future (in case I get 10Gbps fiber) ?

Thanks, and if information is missing you can asked me.