MikroTik App

paolopoz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

[Solved] OSPFv2 neighbor x.x.x.x: state change from Full to Down

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:13 am

Hello!
I have 2 routers with OSPF neighboring over a radio link (Ubiquiti). It happens that the link state goes randomly down even if the radio link is always up and running.
Both routers have been upgraded to 6.38.5. One is a CCR1009, other is a RB2011. CPU resources are within good margins. OSPF network type on interface is point-to-point. All other parameters to defaults, so dead timer interval is set to 40s.
We checked the link by putting a static route to the remote router, then enabling a ping every 5s: when OSPF goes down the link stays up.
I also mangled the OSPF packets (by mangling multicast packets) to set DSCP to 46 so that the link gives them priority, with no luck.
Any idea on what else I could check?
Thanks!
Last edited by paolopoz on Tue May 02, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shaoranrch
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: OSPFv2 neighbor x.x.x.x: state change from Full to Down

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Hello!
I have 2 routers with OSPF neighboring over a radio link (Ubiquiti). It happens that the link state goes randomly down even if the radio link is always up and running.
Both routers have been upgraded to 6.38.5. One is a CCR1009, other is a RB2011. CPU resources are within good margins. OSPF network type on interface is point-to-point. All other parameters to defaults, so dead timer interval is set to 40s.
We checked the link by putting a static route to the remote router, then enabling a ping every 5s: when OSPF goes down the link stays up.
I also mangled the OSPF packets (by mangling multicast packets) to set DSCP to 46 so that the link gives them priority, with no luck.
Thanks!
The usual problem with radio links like the one you're describing is the lack of proper support for multicast traffic (heavily used by OSPF and most routing protocols except BGP), if the problem is this (and it usually is), should be solved by setting the ospf network type on both routers as NBMA in the interfaces used to connect via the Wireless Link.
/routing ospf interface add=interface_name network-type=nbma
This forces OSPF to use unicast packets instead of multicast packets.

You'll also need to set the nbma-neighbor in:
/routing ospf nbma-neighbor

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:49 am

Also, confirm your OSFP hello-timer just to triple check it's still at the default of 10s.

An alternative is to use a GRE tunnel which would traverse the radio link without any fear of multicast packet being molested or lost and allow multicast to work properly. Still it may be far simpler to change to NBMA.

paolopoz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Thank you all.
By setting the OSPF neighbor to NBMA I fixed the problem!

tribud
just joined

Re: [Solved] OSPFv2 neighbor x.x.x.x: state change from Full to Down

Tue May 02, 2017 11:31 pm

what is your mtu size ?

paolopoz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed May 03, 2017 5:25 pm

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed May 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Hello!
Thanks!
What Ubiquiti radio link is this? AirFiber or AirMax?

paolopoz
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 am

PowerBeam M5 on one side and Rocket M5 on the other.

tribud
just joined

Tue May 09, 2017 10:33 am

I have ospf running well on Rocket M5 after switch the network type to nbma

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

chillisock7
just joined

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 am

This works like a charm, very interesting.
Hello!
Thanks!
The usual problem with radio links like the one you're describing is the lack of proper support for multicast traffic (heavily used by OSPF and most routing protocols except BGP), if the problem is this (and it usually is), should be solved by setting the ospf network type on both routers as NBMA in the interfaces used to connect via the Wireless Link.
/routing ospf interface add=interface_name network-type=nbma
This forces OSPF to use unicast packets instead of multicast packets.

You'll also need to set the nbma-neighbor in:
/routing ospf nbma-neighbor

xaviertorres
just joined

Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks by the support, I got the same problem using a RB3011 ( as main) and a RB750GR3 ( as a secondary) in the other side, version of both is 6.48.1 and using antennas POWER BEAM 400-AC-GEN2 and the problem seems to be fixed by putting in both sides the "Network Type: nbma" and declarating NBMA Neighbors the IP of the other side.

gabrielpc1190
just joined

Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:05 am

I was suffering the same symtom but over an OpenVPN link between a 7.6 CCR-1016-12G and a 7.6 CCR-2004-16G-2S+.
I have many other tunnels and OSPF works perfect, but this one didn't until I changed the network type to NBMA.

Thank you!

isaacu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 21, 2023 11:26 pm

This absolutely fixed my OSPF flapping issue! I was having all kinds of issues across a regional transport provider. I've been pulling my hair out for over a month. OSPF flaps were causing MPLS pauses. We use multiple fiber providers and only have trouble with one. Can anyone confirm that some kind of Unicast filtering is most likely the cause?

wiseroute

Mon May 22, 2023 1:19 pm

This absolutely fixed my OSPF flapping issue!
well, glad to hear that 👍🏻

but... just for an additional dictionary,

the term flapping, usually refers to:

a. certain bad physical condition of an physical interface. ie. bad connector module/termination, bad wire splicing - which then triggers interface on off .

b. certain unsupported/unpredictable environment operating condition. ie. wireless link, suboptimal network config etc.

and... i think, in your example case, it wasn't about flapping. but wrong ospf link type setting.

ptp, nbma, broadcast has their own ospf neighbor discovery method. if ospf sees the media capable of running multicast discovery then it will use multicast method.

if not, it should be set unicast neighbor.

ospf sense its link media to calculate its path cost : bw/delay. etc.

ospf is resource intensive protocol. it is slow starting. but :

a. once it built its database, ospf is very stable.

b. once its communication disrupted, it took forever to build the convergence.

so, before using ospf as primary igp, we should make sure its requirements are fulfilled. ie. reliable link, cpu, ram etc.

hope this helps.