Community discussions

MikroTik App

Maknz
just joined
Topic Author

Site to Site EOIP with Local Internet Access Problem

Sun May 21, 2023 7:19 am

Hey guys, I know this one will probably be simple to answer so here goes....

I have 2 sites linked via an EOIP/IPSEC tunnel. Each sites internet connection is 1GB/1GB however i've never been able to get more than about 180mb/sec variable throughput between the sites which at peak times causes a bottle neck and users complain of slow internet. In order to address that i've blocked DHCP across the tunnel and have setup a separate DHCP service at the remote office to point their gateway at their local internet connection to speed internet traffic throughput. Implemented and thought all was well until I start getting certain websites not loading. Google fine, but speedtest.net for example only loaded text without any media, many other websites i tested also just failed to connect. I looked down the interfaces list and noticed the bridge that the EOIP connection port is in has dropped it's MTU to 1388, the same as the EOIP connection itself.

The PPoA connection for our ISP is 1480 so is this what would be causing the loading issues and what would the solution be? Any help appreciated.
Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 4.17.07 PM.png
Cheers up front :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wiseroute

Re: Site to Site EOIP with Local Internet Access Problem

Sun May 21, 2023 12:13 pm

hello maknz,

did you mean you put ipsec over eoip? or you use either eoip or ipsec tunnel?

hmm... maybe the ipsec tunnel being the problem?

have you speed test direct internet for both sites?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 21, 2023 7:21 pm

The root cause of your issue is most likely a broken PMTUD (Path MTU Discovery) on the path between your router(s) and those servers in the internet. The MTU of a bridge always gets automatically adjusted to the one of that member port of the bridge whose MTU is the lowest, to prevent the router itself from attempting to send larger packets.

So for any connection that passes through this bridge, either PMTUD must work properly, or you have to use a bandaid to substitute the PMTUD. The bandaid is a pair of rules in chain forward of /ip firewall mangle, such as

/ip firewall mangle
add chain=forward in-interface=kokiri-eoip-br protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn tcp-mss=1361-65535 action=change-mss new-mss=1360
add chain=forward out-interface=kokiri-eoip-br protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn tcp-mss=1361-65535 action=change-mss new-mss=1360

If 1360 turns out to be still too high, start from 1280 and try finding the largest working value iteratively.

The above solution is just one of the possible ones. A much better one would be to use an L3 tunnel instead, but I figure you have strong reasons to use an L2 one.

For the price of doubling the packet rate, you can either force the MTU of the EoIP tunnel to 1500, which means that the EoIP transport packets will be fragmented and thus there is a risk of losing them as some networks drop non-first fragments, or use L2TP with MLPPP and BCP, which chops already the payload packets during encapsulation so the transport ones do not get fragmented.

Maknz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2023 11:19 am

The root cause of your issue is most likely a broken PMTUD (Path MTU Discovery) on the path between your router(s) and those servers in the internet. The MTU of a bridge always gets automatically adjusted to the one of that member port of the bridge whose MTU is the lowest, to prevent the router itself from attempting to send larger packets.

So for any connection that passes through this bridge, either PMTUD must work properly, or you have to use a bandaid to substitute the PMTUD. The bandaid is a pair of rules in chain forward of /ip firewall mangle, such as

/ip firewall mangle
add chain=forward in-interface=kokiri-eoip-br protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn tcp-mss=1361-65535 action=change-mss new-mss=1360
add chain=forward out-interface=kokiri-eoip-br protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn tcp-mss=1361-65535 action=change-mss new-mss=1360

If 1360 turns out to be still too high, start from 1280 and try finding the largest working value iteratively.

The above solution is just one of the possible ones. A much better one would be to use an L3 tunnel instead, but I figure you have strong reasons to use an L2 one.

For the price of doubling the packet rate, you can either force the MTU of the EoIP tunnel to 1500, which means that the EoIP transport packets will be fragmented and thus there is a risk of losing them as some networks drop non-first fragments, or use L2TP with MLPPP and BCP, which chops already the payload packets during encapsulation so the transport ones do not get fragmented.
Heya Sindy, thanks for the reply. I will give this a try, I have to wait until the weekends to take the office down so will report back what I see :-)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 22, 2023 11:23 am

The first approach (the two mangle rules) cannot actually break anything unless you force a lower MSS than 1280, so you can safely try that even during the rush hours.

Maknz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2023 11:24 am

hello maknz,

did you mean you put ipsec over eoip? or you use either eoip or ipsec tunnel?

hmm... maybe the ipsec tunnel being the problem?

have you speed test direct internet for both sites?
Heya wiseroute, have had the tunnel running for 2 years and it's fine. It's just getting remote clients on the same bridge to get their internet traffic directly from their own router that i'm having these webpage loading issues. I'm pretty sure it's MTU related.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 22, 2023 8:48 pm

As far as I'm aware devices in the same L2 network are unlikely to do PMTUD for link-local packets, they expect the network to support whatever the interface MTU is set to so you should set the EoIP MTU to 1500.

Obviously this will lead to fragmentation as 1500 + EoIP encapsulation + IPsec encapsulation > WAN MTU, I've found it is better to ensure the fragmentation isn't seen across the internet as ISPs sometimes don't handle fragments very well.

L3 routing and MSS clamping would be a better solution unless you really need L2 connectivity between sites.

Maknz
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:39 am

Thanks for the assistance guys, the Mangle rule did the trick :D

This has taken a massive load off of my EOIP tunnels and speed local internet access up.

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:21 pm

I have the same issue, my EoIP interface is on a bridge with multiple other ports. I'm using V7.11.2. If I lower the MTU of the EoIP interface down from 1500 to 1458, traffic flows much better across the tunnel but cause issues for other people on other interfaces on the bridge. I can't add those mangle rules to lower the MTU just on the EoIP interface as it gives an error that you must use the bridge interface it is slave to which would be back to causing issues for everyone. We never seemed to have the MTU issue with the EoIP tunnel till we moved to 7.x firmware, for some reason the older firmware allowed it all to work. Any ideas?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:46 pm

You can use those mangle rules using a slightly more complicated way. Use a bridge filter rule to assign a packet mark (for simplicity, EoIP) to frames entering the bridge via the EoIP interface, and use mangle/prerouting rules to add source IP addresses of packets bearing this packet mark to an address list (also named EoIP), with address-list-timeout like 1h or so. Then replace the in-interface and out-interface matching in the change-mss rules by src-address-list=EoIP and dst-address-list=EoIP, respectively.

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks I'll give that a try. Is there any other way to lower the MTU below 1500 on an EoIP interface and not affect everyone else on the bridge even though they aren't even sending traffic over the EoIP interface. Both ends of the EoIP link are on NAT'd firewalls to the LAN bridges.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:59 pm

Is there any other way to lower the MTU below 1500 on an EoIP interface and not affect everyone else on the bridge even though they aren't even sending traffic over the EoIP interface.
There isn't. From the point of view of the IP stack, which deals with the MTU, the bridge (as in "the virtual interface of the router connected to the virtual port of the virtual switch") is the IP interface. So if the bridge interface has an MTU of 1500 and you give it a packet that has more than the EoIP's MTU, the bridge (as in "the virtual switch") will forward that packet to the EoIP port but EoIP will drop it without sending an ICMP notification back because bridges (as in "virtual switches") do not generate ICMP.

So the MTU of the bridge interface automatically decreases to the MTU of the member port whose MTU is the smallest of all; if you let EoIP set it automatically, it takes the MTU of the interface through which it sends the transport packets and subtracts the size of the headers from it. So the bridge accommodates to that, making the router send "fragmentation needed" if the packet to be routed via the bridge interface is bigger than that.

If you force the EoIP MTU to 1500, it simply means that EoIP will split the transport packets, carrying payload packets larger than the limit, into fragments, and even if the resulting doubling of the packet rate doesn't bother you, you may hit the issue of some networks randomly dropping non-first fragments of packets. A workaround to this is to use L2TP in BCP (bridge) mode with MLPPP, which splits the payload packets before loading them into the transport ones, and the transport ones are never fragmented. The issue of double packet rate remains, though.

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:39 pm

Thanks again for the info, is there a better more modern way to connect remote sites across the internet instead of EoIP where MTU sizing is not an issue and may also take less CPU resources and have better throughput?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:32 pm

is there a better more modern way to connect remote sites across the internet instead of EoIP where MTU sizing is not an issue and may also take less CPU resources and have better throughput?
The best way is to avoid L2 tunneling completely, so the MTU issues are handled at routing level as they should. Without restricting the payload MTU, any tunneling (even an L3 one) always causes (almost) doubling of packet rate simply because any kind of tunneling adds overhead to the payload packets when forming the transport ones, so the excess bytes overflow to a fragment. "Almost" because some payload packets are smaller then the tunnel MTU.

So if you do need the L2 tunneling across the internet, L2TP with BCP and MLPPP is still your best current bet as its transport packets are not fragmented. As for CPU load, it doesn't matter much whether you use EoIP, L2TP, or VxLAN. And if you use encryption, the process of encapsulating L2 frames into L3 transport packets is a negligible part of the CPU load compared to the encrytion and decryption.

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:42 pm

Thanks

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:31 am

I was able to get l2tp set up with BCP pretty easily. The issue I'm having is pinging any hosts on the other end of tunnel from either end are returns DUP pings non-stop so I'm assuming traffic packets are duplicated as well. Speed through the l2tp is much better than the EoIP link though. When I put the EoIP link back online, pings are normal again. On the L2TP i have max mtu set to 1450, max mru set to 1450, and mrru set to 1600 to force MLPPP. I've checked ARP tables and host tables on either end and everything looks fine. I've searched the internet and can't figure out why there are duplicate packets when using ping across the l2TP link. Could it be because the l2tp doesn't have a mac address assigned to it when you view it under interfaces? Any ideas?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:40 am

I would guess you have somehow managed to engage the L3 and L2 tunnel in parallel, but it's just a wild guess. I'd have to see the complete configuration exports from both ends of the tunnel as well as the addresses you used for the ping (both source and destination). Don't forget to anonymize the exports while maintaining integrity of address prefixes if any public or global addresses are used in the configuration.

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:58 am

Office End
/ppp profile
add bridge=bridge1 bridge-horizon=1 interface-list=LAN name="BCP Profile" use-encryption=yes use-ipv6=no
/interface l2tp-server server
set default-profile="BCP Profile" enabled=yes mrru=1600

Remote End
/ppp profile
add bridge=bridge1 name="BCP Profile" use-encryption=yes use-ipv6=no
/interface l2tp-client
add connect-to=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx disabled=no max-mru=1540 max-mtu=1540 mrru=1600 name="NOC Link" profile="BCP Profile" user=xxx

Addresses were just 192.168.xxx.xxx that we are pinging on our internal lan that this link is connecting across the internet and between 2 sites on natd firewalls.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:12 am

Is any local-address and remote-address specified on the /ppp secret row at the server side? If yes, what happens if you remove them?

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:08 am

There are no addresses specified. Only things specified in the secret is the name, password, and profile. Should there be a mac address associated with this interface somewhere? Also should arp=proxy-arp be set on the bridges and the admin-mac address at both ends? I see some people use that in their setups but it was never specified in the the mum presentaions for l2tp with bcp.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:54 am

Should there be a mac address associated with this interface somewhere? Also should arp=proxy-arp be set on the bridges and the admin-mac address at both ends?
No and no. The bridges the BCP tunnels become dynamic ports of already have some MAC addresses; whether these are assigned automatically or using admin-mac has no impact on the operation of the BCP. Of course the bridges geting interconnected must not have identical MAC addresses, but this requirement is nothing BCP-specific.

arp=proxy-arp makes sense when you connect individual Windows machines as L3 (non-BCP) L2TP clients, as Windows automatically add a route via the tunnel to the whole A (/8), B (/12), or C (/24) class subnet their individually assigned address fits into. So placing the pool for these clients into the LAN subnet allows you to avoid additional configuration on Windows side, but you must make the local devices in the LAN send the packets for the Windows clients to the router, which is achieved by means of proxy-arp that makes the router respond with its own MAC address to ARP requests regarding the IP addresses of currently active L2TP clients.

The reason why I was asking whether you have assigned IP addresses to the tunnel endpoints was to find out whether that may be the reason why the ping reports duplicates. As said it was just a wild guess.

I can only imagine multi-path propagation between the two devices to cause such an effect, but if it was due to a plain L2 loop, it should either cause much more harm than just duplicating ICMP echo requests or responses if no loop prevention mechanism is in use, or it should only last until the loop prevention mechanism cuts the loop, so not longer than a few seconds. And it makes no sense that this would be different for the EoIP case and for the BCP case if the two are used, one at a time, to interconnect the same bridges.

The only mechanism known to me that intentionally sends the same packet through two distinct paths is bonding in broadcast mode, but you haven't mentioned anything like that. But you haven't mentioned a hundred other things about your configuration either, because they are presumably unrelated to the issue.

In fact, the problem with these mysteries is that they are always caused by something you assume to be unrelated. That's why it only helps to post the complete configuration export, not just those few bits you assume to be relevant.

If it was bonding in broadcast mode, it is still strange that it would only affect BCP and not EoIP.

Another strange thing is that the duplication seems to only happen in one direction, otherwise you should get 4 response packets to a single echo request packet (unless the ICMP stack remembers the serial number of the last request and doesn't respond duplicates - I'd have to investigate a bit to be sure but it seems to me it would be against the purpose of ICMP echo).

At this point I would use sniffing at both devices, matching only on the IP address of the remote ping participant and icmp, to see what exactly happens there - from where does the ping request come in, which interfaces it passes through, and at which device it actually takes two outgoing interfaces.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:06 pm

You can use those mangle rules using a slightly more complicated way. Use a bridge filter rule to assign a packet mark (for simplicity, EoIP) to frames entering the bridge via the EoIP interface, and use mangle/prerouting rules to add source IP addresses of packets bearing this packet mark to an address list (also named EoIP), with address-list-timeout like 1h or so. Then replace the in-interface and out-interface matching in the change-mss rules by src-address-list=EoIP and dst-address-list=EoIP, respectively.
pls @sindy have u got config for the above e.g.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:23 pm

/interface bridge filter
add action=mark-packet chain=input in-interface=eoip1 new-packet-mark=eoip1
/ip firewall mangle
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=eoip1 address-list-timeout=10m chain=prerouting packet-mark=eoip1

Of course these rules must be blended properly into your existing firewall.

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:31 pm

Sindy I am still unable to get to work. I can see the counters going up in the bridge filter to mark the packets but in the mangle rules to add to a list the packet count will always sit at 0 even with the rules at the top. It's the same on both ends of the link. Both bridges are set to use ip firewall in their settings. Is there something else needed for the ip firewall to see the packet marks from the bridge. At the main site if I set the mangle rule to postrouting it will start populating the address list somewhat but not sure if this is correct as on the remote end if I do this it will not populate the address list. Also I see that you have it set on the input chain, wouldn't it be on the forward chain if the packets from the EoIP tunnel are getting forwarded out to other ports on the bridge? According to the mikrotik packet flow diagram isn't prerouting before bridge filter so that packets marked by the bridge filter on the input chain would never be seen in prerouting? Thanks for your help.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:57 pm

use-ip-firewall=yes is a special setting of bridge whose primary purpose is to allow insertion of queues (for QoS) to the bridging path; for any other purposes it just causes unpleasant surprises. The fact that the ip firewall does not see the packet marks assigned by bridge filter may be one of them. So unless you had some other reason to set it to yes, revert it to no. If you have set it to yes for some other reason, there is no need to use bridge filter at all because with use-ip-firewall=yes, you can match on in-bridge-interface in IP firewall rules.

The bridge filter has its own input,output, and forward chains; forward is used for frames being bridged between external ports of the same bridge, input/output are related to frames being bridged from/to an external port to/from the internal port of the bridge (the one that is connected to the internal IP interface). Therefore all traffic that is routed is an input/output traffic from the perspective of the bridge firewall, although most of it is normally a forward one from the perspective of the ip firewall.

You only need to collect the IP addresses of devices connected via the EoIP tunnel at the router, because only there you can adjust the TCP MSS value in mangle. So they would be useless to collect them on a device that only bridges the traffic between EoIP and a physical port.

I have tested the rules I've posted upon the request of @nichky (of course with use-ip-firewall=no), so I know they work.

So try with use-ip-firewall set to no, and if it still doesn't work, show me the export of /ip firewall and of /interface bridge filter, and maybe explain what I may have missed. If both devices interconnected using EoIP were routers, there would be no need to use EoIP for the interconnection, so I assume you do need an L2 interconnection of the LANs at both sites.

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:29 pm

Sindy we got the configurations made as you suggested and it appears it is working. The only issue I have seen so far is speed tests between routers on each end of the link only seems to work in 1 direction across the EoIP link, in the other direction it starts to works then dies. We saw it before we started down this road on the link. When we changed the MTU on the EoIP link down before and it affected everyone on the bridge the speed tests worked in both directions. With these changes you gave us, the customer speed tests work great which is what we care and traffic going across the link seems good, it's only the built-in mikrotik speed tests having issues so it's not a show stopper, just makes it a little harder for troubleshooting. Any ideas? Thanks so much for all your help and expertise.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:46 pm

• the netfilter (firewall) does not allow to change MSS in prerouting and input chains, and
  • the two Mikrotiks most likely normally do not talk to each other using the addresses from the subnet that lives inside the EoIP tunnel.
So I assume what happens is that when you spawn the internal speedtest between the two Tiks after a long silence, the address of the server one is not on the eoip1 address list of the client one when the latter sends its SYN packet, so the MSS cannot get adjusted at the client because the server's address is not on the address list yet (it only appears there once the SYN,ACK from he server arrives) nor can it be adjusted at the server because MSS adjustment of received packets is simply not possible.

If this assumption is correct, it should actually not depend on the direction of the failing test but on its order of execution, i.e. the first test after long silence should fail regardless the direction.

Verify this assumption first; if it turns out not to be the reason, sniffing into a file at both EoIP tunnels simultaneously while doing the failing test should give you some hints on what is going on. There is a lot of space for doubt because if I remember correctly, there is a "control" session that spawns the actual test session, so the control communication should add the remotes' addresses to the local address lists before the actual test session starts, but maybe you use some other address of the server than the one in the subnet hosted in the EoIP tunnel when telling the bandwidth test client where to connect?

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:02 pm

We can run speed tests to outsied the eoip tunnel just fine, it would nice to test through the tunnel though to see how the tunnel is performing. I'll try adding the ip address as permanent ip's to the list to see if your theory is correct.

Do you think there will be a permanent fix in the future ROS so we don't have to do theses hacks in mangle rules as we didn't have this problem on 6.xx ROS?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:16 pm

If someone properly reports that to Mikrotik, there sure will. But that's just my experience-based opinion, and I have no power over Mikrotik R&D priorities. Some fixes have taken years to happen.

Are you sure nothing has changed in the configuration between the last known good state and the occurrence of the issue? From the description I didn't understand that there was a change of behavior, let alone related to ROS version - the fact that the bridge adjusts its own MTU to the smallest one among the member ports' ones has been there since Day 1 of bridge implementation.

wispvt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:47 pm

I don't have any way for sure of knowing no other changes possibly affect it, as when you have a large network, many changes get made and sometimes if it doesn't affect many customers in a meaningfull obvious way they can go unnoticed but I'm pretty certain it was the update to ROS that caused the issue as we just recently did that on these 2 routers as everything on our network was on 7.x for a year and the calls came in shortly afterwards. Also all the references to the issue in the forums that I found only seem to reference 7.x as well. At least thanks to you we have a work around and these particular customers are happy.