Community discussions

MikroTik App

a13antichrist
Topic Author

Can hAP Ax2 (rOS7) do routed client bridge and simultaneous VPN? And is there a guide?

Mon May 22, 2023 8:51 pm

I want to replace my AC-based DD-wRT gateaway with an AX box with a bit more portability. How I use it:

* Client Bridge connecting to hotel/provider/guest Wifi as 'WAN". Has to support captive portal to be realistically viable.
* Secondary wifi (own SSID) bridged with LAN ports for wireless + wired clients on private network + DHCP.
* Internal LAN routed over VPN on Wireguard (or OpenVPN also fine, prefer WG).

Yes it's for discrete remote-work scenario. :) I have to rebuild my dd-wrt and there are no AX systems yet, so my thoughts are, if rOS can do it in a small box with AX then that saves me re-doing the ddwrt without getting AX wifi, just to have to replace it later.

Thanks in advance. :) :)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can hAP Ax2 (rOS7) do routed client bridge and simultaneous VPN? And is there a guide?

Mon May 22, 2023 9:16 pm

Yes to all.
Ax2 is a quite capable device.

But you may have to do some homework...

a13antichrist
Topic Author

Re: Can hAP Ax2 (rOS7) do routed client bridge and simultaneous VPN? And is there a guide?

Mon May 22, 2023 9:33 pm

Yes I guess it would be a 3-stage configuration.

1. Get Wan-wifi bridged to LAN ports.
2. Implement 2ndary SSID on LAN bridge.
3. Deploy WG if as default route.

1 & 2 I should be able to figure out. 3 I will surely need some help hehe. And to complicate things a bit I will most likely want to separate one LAN port onto the WAN bridge (Layer2) which gives me downstream options.

One further question now that I consider the scenario. If I bridge a LAN port with the "hotel" wifi, the device(s) behind that LAN will present their real MAC to the network and therefore require their own captive portal login, surely. I guess that answer my own question heheh.

rplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 24, 2023 10:54 am

1. Get Wan-wifi bridged to LAN ports.

Will likely give you grief.
There is currently no 4 address mode in wifi on ax2. And wifi bridging modes seem often to be somewhat proprietary anyway.

If you use the Wan Wifi as an ordinary wan (no bridge) with all clients Natted behind it, that should work ok.