Community discussions

MikroTik App

beretas
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot Roaming between APs with different L2

Sun May 28, 2023 6:43 am

Hi there,

i have some time trying to find a solution to this problem, searched and i think i found someones with same problem but without apparent solution.

In a network with different APs and Hotspot routers, i need to know if anyone has a solution to hotspot roaming. Every hotspot has his own L2 and all are communicated on L3 (routed). Its important for our implementation that every hotspot has his own network apart from others, with their own DHCP (Ip range), DNS, and so. I have centralized AAA with Radius server and SQL database, the issue i want to solve is how to make a user auto-login on one hotspot after being loged on other, without being asked to log in again.

First solution is tunneling or bridging hotspot routers, but we dont want to have same L2
Second solution will be on Radius to add MAC Address on first login to user profile and then somehow (scripting?) when a MAC Address tries to access, look for last user loged in with this MAC and try to login with thoose credentials.
Third one can be to "centralize MAC Cookie" somehow on some mikrotik, i dont know if it is even possible (searched but nothing found).

Maybe there is some other solution i havent thought about, if there is, please tell me.

Hoping someone has already faced same issue and solved somehow to read and answer something.
Best Regards.

huso1451
just joined

Re: Hotspot Roaming between APs with different L2

Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:51 pm

Hello, I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution?