Community discussions

MikroTik App

DarkDrevol
just joined
Topic Author

Help please

Wed May 10, 2023 10:41 am

Hi, I'm Cuban. I want you to explain to me how to do the following.
my isp comes from l2tp interfaces and I use NTH balancing, so far so good.
I want to do a bonding of vlan interfaces but the problem is that I don't know how to give the vlan the internet of my l2tp example vlan1 goes out through l2tp1, vlan2 goes out through l2tp2 and successively until completing 20 to make a bonding, all the interfaces have 2.1mb of bandwidth

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help please

Fri May 12, 2023 3:22 pm

baragoon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 12, 2023 4:48 pm

DarkDrevol
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2023 3:06 am

This is my own link, sorry my por english

Buckeye
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat May 20, 2023 4:57 am

Try writing in Spanish, then translate it to English with an online translator.

I can't understand the part about vlans and bonding.

Is https://translate.google.com blocked in Cuba?

If so, you can try using https://www.deepl.com/en/translator

Translated with translate.google.com

Intente escribir en español, luego tradúzcalo al inglés con un traductor en línea.

No puedo entender la parte sobre vlans y bonding.

¿Está bloqueado https://translate.google.com en Cuba?

Si es así, puede intentar usar https://www.deepl.com/en/translator

traducido con translate.google.com

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help please  [SOLVED]

Sat May 20, 2023 9:43 am

First, you may be expecting too much from bonding. For all packets of a given connection that flow in the same direction, bonding normally uses the same link. The reason for this is that some protocol stacks struggle to process packets that arrive in wrong order. So unless you use round-robin to allocate links, the bandwidth of a single connection is limited by the bandwidth of a link; if you do use it, the throughput at application level may be even worse than if you use a single link per connection.

Second, bonding only works at layer 2, and despite its name, L2TP is mostly used to provide L3 tunnels. So leaving aside other problems, the IP address of the packets leaving through a given L2TP tunnel must be the one assigned to your end of that tunnel, because the remote end of the tunnel will route response packets to the address from which the request ones came. So if you send a request packet from the IP address assigned to tunnel A via tunnel B, the response will come via tunnel A, so the bandwidth limitation of tunnel A will apply to it. On the other hand, the remote endpoint of a connection must receive all packets from the same IP address, otherwise it would not identify them as belonging to the same connection.

So the only way how to get more bandwidth for a single connection is to run a router somewhere in the internet, create VPN tunnels between your router and the other one, and do the NAT on the remote router. If you use L2 VPN tunnels, you can bond them together (and you don't even need VLANs for that) and use round-robin; if you use L3 VPN tunnels, you can use ECMP routing if you disable the routing cache to the same effect. But in either case, you'll end up with packets being delivered in shuffled order, so the result may be far below your expectations.

DarkDrevol
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 28, 2023 8:41 am

What I wanted to say is that I have several vpns on my mikrotik and I want to do a balancing to add the speed of my vpns, but the nth balancing does not work for me. I want to know if there is any way for the vlans to take the connection of the vpn interfaces

DarkDrevol
just joined
Topic Author

Sun May 28, 2023 8:45 am

First, you may be expecting too much from bonding. For all packets of a given connection that flow in the same direction, bonding normally uses the same link. The reason for this is that some protocol stacks struggle to process packets that arrive in wrong order. So unless you use round-robin to allocate links, the bandwidth of a single connection is limited by the bandwidth of a link; if you do use it, the throughput at application level may be even worse than if you use a single link per connection.

Second, bonding only works at layer 2, and despite its name, L2TP is mostly used to provide L3 tunnels. So leaving aside other problems, the IP address of the packets leaving through a given L2TP tunnel must be the one assigned to your end of that tunnel, because the remote end of the tunnel will route response packets to the address from which the request ones came. So if you send a request packet from the IP address assigned to tunnel A via tunnel B, the response will come via tunnel A, so the bandwidth limitation of tunnel A will apply to it. On the other hand, the remote endpoint of a connection must receive all packets from the same IP address, otherwise it would not identify them as belonging to the same connection.

So the only way how to get more bandwidth for a single connection is to run a router somewhere in the internet, create VPN tunnels between your router and the other one, and do the NAT on the remote router. If you use L2 VPN tunnels, you can bond them together (and you don't even need VLANs for that) and use round-robin; if you use L3 VPN tunnels, you can use ECMP routing if you disable the routing cache to the same effect. But in either case, you'll end up with packets being delivered in shuffled order, so the result may be far below your expectations.
And what do you recommend and the most important thing is how I would do it? I'm new

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 28, 2023 10:00 pm

What I wanted to say is that I have several vpns on my mikrotik and I want to do a balancing to add the speed of my vpns, but the nth balancing does not work for me. I want to know if there is any way for the vlans to take the connection of the vpn interfaces
I do understand what is your intention. But there are certain technical limitations. Without complicated settings involving a virtual router somewhere in a datacenter as suggested above, there is no way to make a single client to server connection (TCP session) use more than one VPN. There are applications that support file transfer using multiple connections (TCP sessions), most web pages consist of multiple objects that are downloaded independently so load distribution between multiple VPNs can make them load faster too, but for simple file transfer protocol and simple web pages or youtube videos, where the video file is downloaded using a single session, the bandwidth will always be the one of a single VPN.

nth load distribution should work fine provided that you use it per connection, not per packet. I would have to see the export of your configuration to be able to tell you whether it is correct. Before posting the export, do not forget to obfuscate anything that might identify you or permit someone else to use your VPNs, i.e. replace any static address on the WAN interface by some text string like my.wan.ip.addr, any serial numbers, and any usernames. Passwords and strings of similar purpose are hidden automatically if you add a hide-sensitive parameter to the /export command, but usernames and VPN server addresses or domain names are not, so take care not to omit anything.